January 30, 2008

DON'T HEAR MUCH THESE DAYS...

McCormack: Delegate Math (John McCormack, 1/30/08, Campaign Standard)

McCain's greatest advantage lies in the states that award all of their delegates - 373 in all - to the winner of the statewide popular vote: Arizona (53), Connecticut (30), Delaware (18), Missouri (58), Montana (25), New Jersey (52), New York (101), and Utah (36).

Polls have shown McCain leading in all of these states, except Utah where Romney is up big, Delaware where Giuliani was ahead, and Montana where caucusgoers haven't been polled.

...from the folks who swore Mitt's delegate lead was important.

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 30, 2008 8:32 PM
Comments

You haven't been reading Hugh Hewitt, have you. It's good for a laugh. "It's not over!!!11111! McCain's the devil, Mitt can still do it!!!1111!"

Whatever Mitt's paying him, it's not enough.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at January 30, 2008 10:27 PM

Yes, Hewitt's lack of common sense here is pretty funny. You would think he would see the hit to his credibility, but I guess not.

Why so many "coalesced" behind Romney is still a mystery to me. I consider myself about as conservative as they come, with some of Bush's fuzzy side in there, and I was never really interested in Mitt. Had he beaten Teddy in 1994, he would be an icon today, but he blew it at the end. Sure, he has a good business record, but so do 50 other guys I could name in a minute or two. And I wouldn't vote for most of them, either. Being President is a lot more than working a spreadsheet. The intangibles are almost the whole story.

Posted by: jim hamlen at January 31, 2008 1:18 AM

Agreed, Jim, it's odd how such an uninteresting candidate with such a mixed record could have gotten so much support from the elite.

I think it's a combination of all the money he spread around (Heritage, Club for Growth, etc), that he's not seen as serious on the social issues, and that he was something of a blank slate on whom the commentariat could do their own drawing.

Oh, and that he's not an evangelical Christian.

Posted by: Jorge Curioso at January 31, 2008 5:11 AM

Jim:

(Rule #1) Never read blogs. They're mostly worthless.

Posted by: oj at January 31, 2008 8:09 AM

Well, if that isn't self-abnegation, I don't know what is.

Actually, I only read about 5 or so, and this is the only place I write back.

The thing about Hugh is that he is an evangelical (he's always had that Young Life ad on his blog). Perhaps he was afraid of being slimed if he backed Rudy out of the gate, so he picked Mitt. Or perhaps he viewed Rudy sort of like OJ does. He is normally very level-headed, but trying to boost Mitt now is just desperate.

The blogs who broke down and screamed at Bush since the spring of 2005 are getting their just desserts now. We'll see what they are saying in September when Bill tells America to vote for Hillary because McCain might have a stroke on January 21.

Posted by: jim hamlen at January 31, 2008 11:51 AM

(Rule #1) Never read blogs. They're mostly worthless.

I loved my "conservative" blogs until Brothers Judd ruined me. Now I can't indulge my nativist urges, I long for someone on the right to articulate the beauty of Third Way reforms to these crazy paleocons and libertarians, I can't whine about earmarks and deficits and worst of all, I don't have anything to do at work. Thanks for nothing OJ.

At least when we had the apostate commentors like Harry Eager, Jeff Guinn and many, many others, we had longer comment threads to stir up the debate and occupy my time. Where are the amusing trolls when you need them?

Posted by: Patrick H at January 31, 2008 12:25 PM

They're in the woods of England, praying to St. Charles for the peppered moth to speciate....

Posted by: oj at January 31, 2008 1:48 PM

Patrick:

We're at Thought Mesh and the Daily Duck.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at January 31, 2008 3:28 PM

Patrick

Don't forget to also pick up the argument style. Let your opponent rant, then turn him a little and say "exactly. you just proved MY point"

kind of like that martial art where you use your opponents strength against him

Posted by: EPT at January 31, 2008 10:32 PM
« NOTHING COSTS MORE THAN IT USED TO: | Main | NOW MAVERICK IS REALLY DONE FOR! »