April 16, 2007

& WHERE'S HIS MOTHER?:

Where have whistlers gone? (DAN VIERRIA, 4/16/07, Sacramento Bee)

Whistling is deader than coonskin caps and drive-in theaters, especially among the young.

“You don’t hear much whistling anymore,” says Sacramento Kings owner Gavin Maloof, who mastered the two-finger whistle back in grade school.

Maloof’s celebrated courtside whistle rises above the Arco Arena din, a shock-and-awe thunderclap of shot-altering intensity. Impressive.

But whistling these days is mostly reserved for teakettles. Even locomotives don’t whistle anymore – they have horns.

So, what’s up with whistling, once the unofficial American pastime? Where’s the kid, hands stuffed in pockets, whistling his way to school?

Today, kids are more apt to hitch a ride to school, ear buds stuffed in each ear.

Our kids are sure hellbent on learning to whistle. Maybe it's a California thing?

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 16, 2007 8:40 AM
Comments

Our local drive-in theater boasts 5 screens with a double feature on each night of the week (from Apr. 1st through the end of Oct.)

Posted by: Bartman at April 16, 2007 8:59 AM

I drove my parents nuts whistling the Indiana Jones theme the summer Temple of Doom came out (also the summer I learned to whistle).

Orrin-
What about that stupid "We're The Young" video you keep posting? That's a very whistle-heavy song. As a matter of fact, it's stuck in my head right now, you bastard.

Posted by: Bryan at April 16, 2007 9:24 AM

Brother Bones' version of Sweet Georgia Brown

Posted by: h-man at April 16, 2007 2:43 PM

A little whistling in the house. Then we got a cockatiel and everyone in the house is whistling trying to teach the bird new tunes. Funniest so far is hearing the bird try to do the Darth Vader theme from Star Wars

Posted by: AWW at April 16, 2007 3:49 PM

I like to whistle, but I'm not very good at it. And I've often tried to figure out the finger whistle but could never make it work. What's the secret?

Posted by: RC at April 16, 2007 11:31 PM
« IN A WAY, THEY'RE THE ONLY NON-FREELOADERS: | Main | OFFENSES, COMEDIC & PC: »