December 7, 2006

WHO LISTENS TO 'EM?:

If it isn’t one thing, it’s another... : TV Land’s list of greatest quotes ignores women’s lines (Lauren Beckham Falcone, December 7, 2006, Boston Herald)

Hey, TV Land - a message from the ladies: Kiss my grits!

‘‘The 100 Greatest TV Quotes and Catchphrases” (starting Monday at 10 p.m.) features a mere four offerings from women. A few TV experts are now saying ‘‘Never mind” to the sexist tally.

‘‘It’s crazy that there are so few women represented,” said Terry Lawler, executive director of New York Women in Film & Television. ‘‘It’s a glaring omission, and you have to wonder how many women were part of the choosing. You also have to wonder why there wasn’t any effort to ask, ‘Are we representing the full spectrum of women and shows that have been important?’ ”

More impressive than the oft-repeated lines are those used just once but that are instantly recognizable. My candidate for the best ever:

Ivan? ... Did you see the sunrise?

Posted by Orrin Judd at December 7, 2006 2:13 PM
Comments

Textbook definition of a tempest in a teapot. A list that doesn't matter made up of things that don't matter judged by "experts" who don't matter.

Posted by: Bryan at December 7, 2006 2:36 PM

They left out a whole bunch of good ones:

"Never mind!" (SNL)

"It just goes to show you, it's always something." (SNL)

"Hailing frequencies open." (Classic Trek)

"Oh, Rob!" (Dick Van Dyke)

Posted by: Mike Morley at December 7, 2006 5:00 PM

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Rickyyyyyy!"

"You're soaking in it."

Posted by: H.D. Miller at December 7, 2006 7:27 PM

Ivan? ... Did you see the sunrise?

I need an explanation on that one.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at December 7, 2006 7:45 PM

any "...Bob" quote from one of Bob Newhart's shows.

Posted by: Jayson at December 7, 2006 8:31 PM

"Damn good coffee!"

Posted by: Mike Beversluis at December 7, 2006 9:04 PM

"I'll buy that for a dollar!"

Posted by: Pontius at December 7, 2006 9:06 PM

Concur with Matt up there.

I googled "ivan+did you see the sun rise"....

Squat.

What is it? Long time couch potato, and I don't recognize it.

Posted by: Andrew X at December 7, 2006 9:21 PM

"Whatever you do, don't mention the war."

Posted by: AC at December 7, 2006 9:23 PM

Andrew, you needed to google the whole thing. For non-Magnum fans, one finds this explanation of the classic episode:

"A KGB guy who had tortured Magnum and company in Vietnam turns up and much angst ensues. Then he puts a bomb in Magnum's Ferrari, but it kills Magnum's friend Mac instead. Just before Mac got in the car he'd said he wanted to go see the sun rise. BOOM! So, Magnum and the KGB guy end up out in jungle, and the KGB guy gloats that Magnum would never kill him in cold blood. He starts to walk away, Magnum calls out to him and asks, "Did you see the sunrise?" and then he shoots him."

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at December 7, 2006 9:41 PM

The Ivan quote is from Magnum, PI. A Russian agent killed Magnum's navy friend just as the friend asked Magnum to go see a sunrise. Magnum solved the case but the Russian had diplomatic imunity. So, Magnum was going to kill the Russian in cold blood. He couldn't do it though.

As the Russian walked away, Magnum asked about the sunrise. Ivan said something about it being beautiful. Shot, fade to credits.

Great show.

Posted by: Bob at December 7, 2006 9:44 PM

The only episode of a network show that even approaches it, and the only line of equal power, is the Moulin Rouge two-parter (?) of Crime Story. The bad guy snickers when Walter catches up to him and says how little will happen to him and how there's nothing they can about it. The scene cuts to Torello and Krychek asking where the bad guy ended up. At that point there hear Walter, somewhat unurgently, say: "Stop, or I'll shoot" Followed by a boom from his shotgun. Torello says (if I recall correctly): "He's with Walter."

Posted by: oj at December 7, 2006 9:57 PM

oops. One more:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Posted by: oj at December 7, 2006 9:59 PM

"You should wear more sweaters."

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at December 7, 2006 10:18 PM

Again, the only series ending episode that comes close is the way the finished (?) Crime Story.

Posted by: oj at December 7, 2006 10:58 PM

No Buffy quotes? "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, huh?"

Besides no Buffy quotes, the real problem is the writers, and their famous inability to come up with good roles for women.

Posted by: Bob Hawkins at December 8, 2006 2:37 PM

OMIGOD!

I DID see that Magnum. And I do remember that. I even remember where I was when I saw it.

Big signpost of the conservative renaissance. Good call.

Posted by: Andrew X at December 9, 2006 11:49 AM