May 27, 2006

LAW AND ORDER ALBERTO:

Gonzales Said He Would Quit in Raid Dispute (DAVID JOHNSTON and CARL HULSE, 5/27/06, NY Times)

Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales, the F.B.I. director, Robert S. Mueller III, and senior officials and career prosecutors at the Justice Department told associates this week that they were prepared to quit if the White House directed them to relinquish evidence seized in a bitterly disputed search of a House member's office, government officials said Friday.

Mr. Gonzales was joined in raising the possibility of resignation by the deputy attorney general, Paul J. McNulty, the officials said. Mr. Gonzales and Mr. McNulty told associates that they had an obligation to protect evidence in a criminal case and would be unwilling to carry out any White House order to return the material to Congress.

The potential showdown was averted Thursday when President Bush ordered the evidence to be sealed for 45 days to give Congress and the Justice Department a chance to work out a deal.


Everyone defends their own turf.

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 27, 2006 8:00 AM
Comments

Hey, maybe the NRO crowd will let Alberto on the Supreme Court after this one.

Posted by: John at May 27, 2006 11:21 AM

Isn't the whole story of our immigration policy personified by AG Gonzales, one smart hombre, whose next stop is probably the Supreme Court. All the rest of this blather is just fun and games to keep the children downstairs in congress amused so they don't bother the adults while they're making history upstairs in the White House.

Posted by: erp at May 27, 2006 1:50 PM

If that story is legit, something big is afoot. Maybe my Samson theory isn't so far-fetched.

Posted by: ghostcat at May 27, 2006 6:17 PM
« OTHER THAN THAT HOW'D YOUR HAIRCUT GO, MS NOONAN?: | Main | WORKED FOR STROM THURMOND & ROBERT BYRD: »