April 10, 2006

THERE IS NO "I" IN GOP:

Lieberman Won't Rule Out Independent Bid (STEPHEN SINGER, 4/10/06, Associated Press)

Sen. Joe Lieberman, facing a challenge from within the Democratic Party for renomination, said Monday he has not ruled out seeking a fourth term as an independent.

"I have not foreclosed the option," Lieberman said at a news conference at the Connecticut state Capitol. "If I wanted to run as an independent, I would. I'm running as a Democrat. I've been a Democrat all my life."

A switch in time gets us to 59.

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 10, 2006 8:13 PM
Comments

Lieberman won't switch. He has had opportunities in the past and hasn't done so. Also there were hints that a Bush Cabinet position could be his but he didn't go for it. Remember the Clinton impeachment where Lieberman gave a scathing review of Clinton and then turned around and supported him.

Tnis is probably nothing more than a veiled warning at the Dem party to not push him too hard in the primary.

Posted by: AWW at April 10, 2006 8:34 PM

He never needed to before--he's nothing if not flexible.

Posted by: oj at April 10, 2006 8:44 PM

OJ - True but I've given up on waiting for Dems who should be GOP switching and vice versa.

I assume that whichever Dem survives the primary easily defeats the GOP candidate. So wouldn't be something if Lieberman loses the Dem primary and then runs as a GOPer? Of course the MSM would crucify him if he did that.

Posted by: AWW at April 10, 2006 11:42 PM

If Lieberman flat-out attacked the far left crazies, he would win the primary with probably 65% of the vote.

What prominent Democrat is going to go to the mat for Howard Dean, MarKos Moulitsas, Duncan Black, Eric Alterman, Al Sharpton, Cindy Sheehan, Nancy Pelosi, Russ Feingold, or Sidney Blumenthal?

The hard left has a lot of influence, primarily through the media and the courts, but when have they won an election bigger than SF City Supervisor, VT Congressman, and a few outliers like Cynthia McKinney?

Although, if Joe did switch to the GOP, he would become the most hated man in America (for a week or two).

Posted by: jim hamlen at April 11, 2006 11:22 AM

AWW. "... Dem survives the primary easily defeats the GOP candidate ..."

Care for a small wager?