January 25, 2006

NO, REALLY, THEY'RE OUT TO GET ME:

NSA Accused of Psychologically Abusing Whistleblowers (Sherrie Gossett, January 25, 2006, CNSNews.com)

Five current and former National Security Agency (NSA) employees have told Cybercast News Service that the agency frequently retaliates against whistleblowers by falsely labeling them "delusional," "paranoid" or "psychotic."

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 25, 2006 1:02 PM
Comments

Five current and former delusional, paranoid, and psychotic National Security Agency (NSA) employees have told Cybercast News Service that the agency frequently retaliates against whistleblowers.

Just helping to get the byline straight.

Posted by: Genecis at January 25, 2006 2:23 PM

NSA has always been a strange place to work. Don't know about nowadays, but it used to be that employees could not even acknowledge that they worked there, much less say anything about their duties. Quite understandable, but also perverse in today's open culture. Add to that quirk the tech nature of the place, the sorts of personalities that probably attracts, and you've got a recipe for, um, oddness.

Posted by: ghostcat at January 25, 2006 2:33 PM

NSA is full of mathematicians. Delusional, paranoid, and psychotic are just job classifications.

Posted by: Luciferous at January 25, 2006 3:27 PM

Thanks, Ghostcat and Luciferous that certainly make me feel better about the NSA surveilance.

Posted by: h-man at January 25, 2006 4:14 PM

Every asset has its liabilities.

Posted by: ghostcat at January 25, 2006 4:33 PM

My Uncle Jim worked for NSA up until he died. My dad read the book Puzzle Palace, then loaned it to Uncle Jim. When he asked Uncle Jim what he thought of the book, all we got was "No comment."

Uncle Jim never talked about his work much, though he did once tell me the story of the time he fell asleep on a train in West Germany, missed his stop, and woke up in East Germany. He always said he was in the procurement division--"I buy the cloaks and daggers, I don't get to use 'em." Of course, if he wasn't in the procurement division, he wouldn't have been allowed to tell me that now, would he?

Posted by: Mike Morley at January 25, 2006 4:54 PM

I didn't know they characterized the "whistleblowers" - I thought they just disappeared them.

Posted by: ratbert at January 25, 2006 7:35 PM

Whistleblowers who have damaging things to say get disappeared. Yammering nutjobs just get discredited.

Posted by: Bryan at January 25, 2006 8:16 PM