November 18, 2005

ONE QUESTION AFTER VIEWING THE LATEST HARRY POTTER FILM

Should "botch job" be two words or one?

Posted by Matt Murphy at November 18, 2005 5:18 PM
Comments

We could also coin a Juddism: "Bifftacular."

Posted by: Matt Murphy at November 18, 2005 5:24 PM

I've never really liked the HP movies. I thought the first one was absolutely atrocious. They have progessively gotten better, but that isn't saying much. I know this is a cliche, but the books are so much better.

Posted by: pchuck at November 18, 2005 5:25 PM

Matt -

That I am going to see this movie is a given; I have an 8-year old boy. What was so awful?

Posted by: Bruce Cleaver at November 18, 2005 6:26 PM

Argh--that's not what I wanted to hear. I second Bruce's request for more information.

Posted by: Timothy at November 18, 2005 6:40 PM

Wasn't this the book that was something like 800 pages long?

Posted by: b at November 18, 2005 7:04 PM

Matt: If you want, you can write up your summary in the extended entry box in Movable Type so that spoilers won't appear on the front page.

Posted by: David Cohen at November 18, 2005 9:01 PM

Will probably see it next weekend since 4 of 5 in the family are reading the books. Most of the reviews I've seen have given it pretty good ratings so that might be a bad sign.

Posted by: AWW at November 18, 2005 9:39 PM

David Cohen, Bruce Cleaver, Timothy:

I'm not clear on how to amend a current post and since it's rather late I'll post something new tomorrow, using the idea David Cohen provided so I can hide the text and prevent spoilers.

I should probably ease up a little: cinematically speaking, the film is reasonably good in many parts and it has some excellent sequences, but if you've read the book you'll be astonished at how much was left out, and if you haven't read the book you'll probably be scratching your head trying to figure out some really important plot points.

In my opinion, the fourth Potter novel is the best of them all. This movie should have been spectacular -- it had incredible source material to work with. That it didn't work out makes it like the Titanic movie: a popular film that was ultimately disappointing to people who knew the real story and thus had something to compare it to.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at November 18, 2005 11:54 PM

This is why I haven't read the book again since the first time I read it. I barely remember a thing! Whew. Something about a dragon? Maybe a goblet? With fire?

Posted by: Timothy at November 19, 2005 1:31 AM