September 5, 2005

WHAT DO THE LEAST RESPONSIBLE WANT?:

Voters reject late-night drink laws Peter Riddell and Richard Ford, 9/06/05, Times of London)

THE public is overwhelmingly against government plans to let pubs and clubs open until the early morning, a Populus poll for The Times has found.

Voters oppose the licensing law changes by nearly two to one, with women more strongly opposed than men. But young people — the group most likely to take advantage of later opening hours — favour the proposals and do not believe that they will cause more disorder and binge drinking.

When I was their age I thought the city should replace our hot water tap with a beer line. That's why healthy societies are run by grownups.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 5, 2005 10:42 PM
Comments

It's the cold water tap that should be replaced with the beer line. Sheesh.

I have to say, having spent a lot of time over there, that I do agree with the yutes that longer hours would lead to less not more binge drinking. (Ditto changing the drinking age here back to 18.)

The amount of pints that get lined up per person on the bar at last orders is astonishing. Ditto how fast the extra 3 or 4 pints are consumed before the barman throws you out.

And they start drinking earlier to get their rounds in.

Later hours would calm the frenetic pace.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at September 5, 2005 10:54 PM

Cold water is good food. What's hot good for?

Posted by: oj at September 5, 2005 10:57 PM

Washing. If you want something to drink, you have beer.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at September 5, 2005 11:45 PM

Washing? You were never young, huh?

Posted by: oj at September 5, 2005 11:52 PM

I drank a lot of beer but I was very fastidious in those days.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at September 5, 2005 11:59 PM

Ah, suddenly the soccer fixation becomes clear....

Posted by: oj at September 6, 2005 12:06 AM

Why do you assume that's a bad idea?

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 6, 2005 12:09 AM

Liver enzyme tests.

Posted by: oj at September 6, 2005 12:24 AM

Maybe a compromise. You can drink as much as you want, till you're 12, then you lay off till you're 30.

Posted by: RC at September 6, 2005 2:39 AM

"Water. I never touch the stuff. Fish sh** in it."

Posted by: W.C.Fields at September 6, 2005 2:05 PM

W.C.:

F*** in it.

Posted by: oj at September 6, 2005 3:03 PM

Who you going to believe, me or some anonymous quote at IMDB.com?

"Say anything that you like about me except that I drink water."* Besides, "the stuff rusts pipes".

Posted by: W.C.Fields at September 6, 2005 4:01 PM

Then there was the time I was accused of drinking a glass of water ... I haven't had a drop of water on my tongue since the gold rush days ... I was up in Nome Alaska ... and I made the mistake of picking my teeth with an icicle ... The icicle melted and I nearly strangled to death ... Those were the days ... I hope they never come again.

I was driving across the Mojave Desert in search of the Lonseome Charelie Gold Mine ... and by chance I happened to come upon the Happy Buzzard Gas Station and Taproom ... the bartender refused to serve me a double-slug of Red-Eye because it was election day ... the people voted for that law ... which is taking Democracy too far ... how can a buzzard be happy without a nip? ... he offered me a glass of water ... I thought he was insane ... he then bet me a hundred dollars .. a century note ... that I wouldn't drink a glass of water ... hideous looking stuff ... he wouldn't even put an olive or cherry in it ... may the state of Kentucky forgive me, but I drank it .. the bartender had to call a doctor because I'd been poisoned.

(Paraphrased from the "Day I Drank a Glass of Water" sketch script)

Posted by: W.C.Fields at September 6, 2005 4:35 PM

Try saying both aloud. No comedian would follow sh with sh

Posted by: oj at September 6, 2005 4:58 PM

Let them drink themselves into a stupor, won't hurn my feelings. For the people that get up early in the mornings for other purposes like hunting, fishing, scuba diving, and other outdoors recrational activities check out this site: Outdoors Television Online

Posted by: Buddy Bass at September 6, 2005 9:56 PM
« PRESUMABLY THEY'RE READY WITH THE NEXT JUSTICE TOO: | Main | CASTRO'S CUBA HAVING WORKED OUT SO WELL...: »