September 14, 2005

HOW ABOUT A BOOK TO THE BEST PEEVE? (via Rick Turley):

Middle age? It's a state of constant irritation (Tom Utley, 09/09/2005, Daily Telegraph)

Just lately, I have found myself in a state of more or less constant irritation with the world and its inhabitants, which is surely the defining mark of middle age. The smallest things set me off. For example, why has somebody in the pronunciation unit of the BBC decided that New Orleans should be pronounced "New Orleens", without so much as a hint of that antepenultimate "a"?

As a general principle, I am all in favour of anglicising foreign names - Reams for Rheims, Florence for Firenze etc. I well remember my late father rebuking me when I pronounced Marseilles the French way: "Marsay, boy? The word is Marsails. You don't say 'Paree', do you?" But, for reasons that I don't understand, New Orleens annoys me like mad, and I deliver a pompous speech to the television whenever I hear it. I snarl, too, every time Huw Edwards utters that patronising, folksy little "bye for now" after he has said that it is time to join our "news teams nationwide".

Come to think of it, almost everything on the television these days irritates me. [...]

With every week that passes, my list of pet hates grows longer. "Your call is important to us"; silicone implants; "thank you for not smoking"; Charles Clarke; cold callers; Ann Widdecombe; "celebrity" anything; health and safety; Yasmin Alibhai-Brown; "am I alone in thinking?"; work; the Australian interrogative inflection at the end of a statement; human rights; "for my sins"; James Blunt; "web page not found"; the Arts Council; "you're welcome"; David Blunkett; "perfectly good old-fashioned English word"; the Commission for Racial Equality; Dale Winton; media studies; "prestigious"; Patricia Hewitt; peanut butter; "so I was, like, 'whaddayamean?' "; oversized jeans that expose their wearers' underpants; the Animal Liberation Front; "in a very real sense"; teenagers who never hang up their towels after a bath; Hillary Clinton; very fat people who walk, very slowly, three abreast, along the narrowest pavements; happy-clappies; opening credits that keep flashing up on the screen, 20 minutes after the start of the film; silly surveys, claiming that the average Briton believes that middle age begins at 49 and ends at 65…

My most ferocious pet hate has been the same since childhood, the near universal misapprehension of the David and Goliath story

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 14, 2005 12:00 AM
Comments

That's quite a lengthy list Mr Utley sports. Why, it's nearly as long as mine, which really irks me.

Posted by: Bruce Cleaver at September 9, 2005 1:25 PM

I'm sincerely annoyed that people think you have to be middle aged to be a curmudgeon.

Also, Utley's father's "You don't say Paree, do you?" comment annoys me, because I've been saying that for years and thought I was original.

Posted by: Timothy at September 9, 2005 1:38 PM

'At the end of the day'....did I win the book?

Posted by: Melissa at September 9, 2005 1:58 PM

I always thought it was pronounced N'Awleans. The first vowel is destressed and the last one is dipthonged.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 1:58 PM

The BBC has a pronunciation unit? You mean major news operations care about pronunciation any more? Perhaps it's just a British thing.

US electronic media outlets can't possibly have a pronucniation unit. (Of course non-electronic media outlets have dictionaries and sytle books, so they don't need such bodies!)

I have heard, in one interview, between three people, the same name pronounced THREE DIFFERENT WAYS! And nobody corrects anyone. This level of denial is approaching psychosis.

Has the enforcement of correct pronunciation been ajudged to be oppressive? A holdover from dead white males, perhaps? Conversely, has freewheeling, do-your-own-thing pronunciation become yet another way for modern folk to express their individuality? A healthy sign of diversity and tolerance? I count no fewer than six different "accepted" pronunciations of Abu Ghraib. They can't all be right.

Edwin Newman spins in his grave. (Pronounced "grah.VAY")

Posted by: Brian McKim at September 9, 2005 1:59 PM

Pit bulls and people that own pitbulls. Every idiot, tatooed, body-pierced, crank-fiend cracker that can't afford a Harley-Davidson walks around South King County, WA with one of these public hazards dragging them down the sidewalk. Ooh, he must be tough. He's got a pit bull, a tattoo and a t-shirt with the sleeves torn off! Then they accessorize the animal with a collar made from a motorcycle chain or spiked leather. These animals should be outlawed. And their dogs too.

Posted by: Patrick H at September 9, 2005 2:02 PM

Patrick, move to Bellevue.

Robert, it's pronounced by the locals noo-AWE-lins (where the AWE is much like someone in the Jersey-Brooklyn-Long Island axis would pronounce the vowel in "dog" -- might be an Irish/Italian thing). The first sylable is almost fully elided into the emphasized second one.

Posted by: Jorge Curioso at September 9, 2005 2:11 PM

The links at the bottom of the brotherjudd comment page are supposed to take you to either the next or the previous article, but more often than not they take you in a circle. Just take me to the next damned post!

Corporate managers that sling jargon around that they don't understand.

Running into me ex-girlfriend and her disturbingly beefy new beau at a party.

Posted by: Governor Breck at September 9, 2005 2:13 PM

Back in the late 90's, all the au courant people on the Sunday talk shows prounounced 'negotiations' as if it were written 'negosiations' which sounded oh-so streamlined, and cast a single raised eyebrow at those poor lumpenproletariat sods who actually pronounced the first 't' as an 'sh' sound. Damn that irked me.

Posted by: Bruce Cleaver at September 9, 2005 2:35 PM

Hollywood couples who divorce because they "grew apart" but are determined to stay good friends.

Any book or article with "Bush" and "lies" in the title.

People who are atheist because they think G-d is a real meanie.

People who haven't read a history book since grade 9, but announce at cocktail parties that more people have been killed by religion than any other cause.

Anyone into homeopathic medicine.

Anyone who changes anything about his or her life in order to "find the real me"

Anyone who works in "strategic planning".

The U.S. womens' hockey team.

Posted by: Peter B at September 9, 2005 2:48 PM

C'mon Peter, sing with me: "I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me!"

As for the US Women's Hockey team, hey one of those fine ladies you're talking about may be the future Governess Breck, buddy.

Here's another one to go with Peter's: People who have only read ONE history book since the 9th grade and it's the People's History of the United States.

Posted by: Governor Breck at September 9, 2005 2:55 PM

Gov:

Oh, sorry, I meant except for her.

Posted by: Peter B at September 9, 2005 3:02 PM

The use of the following by reporters:

"critics say"

"controversial"

when what them really mean is that they disagree themselves.

Posted by: Rick T. at September 9, 2005 3:04 PM

Pet peeves: waiters putting their hand on the lip of your plate and then asking if you're finished.

toilets without those seatguard paper dispensers

80-year old ushers at ballgames who think they're saving me time and worthy of a tip by demanding my ticket, taking forever to read it, taking forever to waddle over to the section I'm in, and pointing out my area.

Posted by: Matt C at September 9, 2005 3:08 PM

Using precious euphemisms for death and dying. Granted, this is a peeve I inherited from my mother, but since she died it's fallen to me to decry the vulgar prissy avoidance of, as mother would say, the noblest words in the English tongue.

Now, I have volumes full of peeves (or "mom's hate list" as my daughter styles it), but this is on volume I page 1. (Then there's "we're pregnant", "forte" pronounced "forté", herb "tea", restaurants that, when you request a cup of tea, bring you a pot of tepid water and a vast selection of herbal infusions, no item of which contains a single bloody leaf of Camellia sinensis...)

Posted by: Moira Breen at September 9, 2005 3:21 PM

Other people's garlic.

Posted by: Luciferous at September 9, 2005 3:28 PM

Number one peeve, no close second: Being asked to press 'one' for English.

Posted by: erp [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 3:34 PM

These kids today with their clothes and their music and their user-friendly electronic accessories. In my day, we had 8-bit DOS machines with 20 meg hard drives and we had to use our backslash keys to get the computer to do anything, and we counted ourselves lucky to have that.

Posted by: David Cohen at September 9, 2005 3:47 PM

Buy a pack of weiners. There will be 10 per pack. Buy some brautwurst. They come 5 per pack. Buy the buns to go with them, and you'll get 8 per pack. Where's the coordination? Why doesn't Bush to something about it?

Posted by: AllenS at September 9, 2005 3:59 PM

Can I have a book with pictures?

Posted by: AllenS at September 9, 2005 4:00 PM

Not my biggest pet peeve, but since it's been discussed, I hate it when non-residents refer to New Orleans as Nawlins or some such. I don't say New Yahk, or Joisey, or Mayheeco, or whatever.

It's New Orleans. Just to be annoying to everyone.

Posted by: RC at September 9, 2005 4:04 PM

When people complain about their first-amendment rights being "censored" by non-goverment agents.

For instance, a few years ago when John Rocker got booted from the Atlanta Braves for saying mean things about commuters on the "L" train in NYC, people complained that the Atlanta Braves were violating Rocker's free speech rights.

But the Atlanta Braves are not the government, dagnabit!! Not even in Georgia!!! Cripes.

Posted by: Twn at September 9, 2005 4:19 PM

...the "gravitas" craze that swept the MSM during the Bush v. Gore election.

Posted by: Bartman at September 9, 2005 4:40 PM

...sorry, one more...

People that have NO CLUE what a turn signal on an automobile is used for.

(I hope no one picks apart my grammar in that last one)

Posted by: Bartman at September 9, 2005 4:41 PM

Similar to RC's, I hate being told to pronounce Missouri as Missouruh. I'm not from there, why should I adopt their accent.

Posted by: Governor Breck at September 9, 2005 4:43 PM

Michael Jackson is still "the King of Pop," even though he's the archtype of "damaged goods," gets no airplay for anything recorded after 1985, and hasn't sold more than a fistful of records in over a decade.

Posted by: Mike Morley at September 9, 2005 4:44 PM

When people talk about evolution every damn day.

Posted by: BJW at September 9, 2005 4:45 PM

toilets without those seatguard paper dispensers

The technical name is "ass gasket", and more familiarly known in some areas as a "Texas t-shirt".

As for peeves, how hard is it to return an email? Even to just say, "received, thanks."? But then again, I'm glad you never called when promised or responded to my replies to your questions, and so I never got the opportunity to work for you, as I figure that you are an inconsiderate jerk in a lot of other areas, too.

Another peeve are the people who think nothing of asking me to bend or break rules for them. I figure if you are willing to cheat someone else (even if it's "the sytsem' or "a corporation"), you are just willing to cheat me, too, if the opportunity presents itself.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 9, 2005 6:10 PM

People (especially sportscasters) who say "literally" when they mean "figuratively." Although I still chuckle at the mental picture I got one night when during a Monday Night Football game, Frank Gifford informed us that the fans at Giants Stadioum were "literally exploding."

Oh the humanity!

Posted by: Foos at September 9, 2005 7:14 PM

Moira:

Touche for forte. And the "we're pregnant" is really creepy.

As for me, the list is too long, but adults using teen expressions (e.g. "cool" or "whatever") years after they are antiquated ranks right up there on my peeves list.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at September 9, 2005 7:40 PM

"We had 8 bit DOS machines with 20 meg hard drives"

You should have been there when we abandoned the abacus for slip sticks.

Although the introduction of 0 was actually tougher.

Posted by: Rick Ballard at September 9, 2005 7:48 PM

Uptalk. You know, when every statement is a question? And the speaker wants constant affirmation? And you're praying, please God, let the next sentence be a simple declarative?

I've discovered? To my horror? That even all four and five year olds now talk like this? I've taught my daughter? What uptalk is? And I have forbidden her to talk like that?

Posted by: David Hill, The Bronx at September 9, 2005 8:52 PM

"Number one peeve, no close second: Being asked to press 'one' for English."

I assume therefro that you do not mind being sent to voice mail jail.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 9:04 PM

"I don't say New Yahk"

Neither does anybody else. They say New Yawk.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 9:12 PM

Robert, I press 'one' for English like a good little girl and thank my lucky stars that at least for now, English still has top billing.

Posted by: erp [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 9:18 PM

Erp you are less pevish than I. I hate voice mail.

But what I hate even more is standing in line at the customer service desk or some other gate of Hades for several cycles of re-incarnation, reaching the head of the line, being summonned by the next clerk, approaching her, stating my business, hearing her phone ring, and waiting while she spends a half an hour on the phone call.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 9:50 PM

Foos, one of my really enormous peeves is when people claim that those who misuse the word "literally" actually "mean" figuratively. They don't *mean* figuratively, they just want to add emphasis. It is figurative, but they certainly don't *mean* to point it out.

The best part of this peeve is that it's a peeve about other people's peeve, and so comes in very handy in conversations like this one.

Posted by: Timothy at September 9, 2005 9:54 PM

David Cohen:

We, in turn, show our peevishness with eyeball-rolling and heavy sighing in your presence, you greying, DOS-based dinosaur, you.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 9, 2005 10:06 PM

Fred Jacobsen:

Not that I necessarily care, since I'm continually guilty of this myself, but it's astonishing how "you know" has entered the language, to be utilized two or three times a sentence. I'm told gratuitous use of this phrase was heavily frowned on 30 or 40 years ago. Nowadays, even William F. Buckley says it. It's like a virus.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 9, 2005 10:11 PM

Talkative barbers.

Posted by: jefferson park at September 9, 2005 11:22 PM

Matt;

You whippersnapper. I literally used punch cards, paper tape, teletypes and front panel switches when I was starting out. And don't get me started about eight inch floppy disks. And you can tell Cohen's faking since he mentions DOS and not CP/M. Yeah, buddy, trying having to key in the boot strap loader on the front panel to get the thing fired up!

Governor Breck;

When they whine, just switch to pronouncing it "Misery". I can verify personally that it works wonders.

As for the link cycle thing, yeah, that's been working its way up my peeve list. The Other Brother made it much worse with the recent upgrade to 3.2, as you used to be able to spot the loop back point by watching the post numbers in the URL and breaking through by tweaking it (i.e., if 0023422.html sent you to 0023673.html, you could hand edit it to 0023421.html and usually escape). Now, with the textual file names even that is denied us.

Posted by: Annoying Old Guy at September 10, 2005 12:03 AM

AOG: How well I remember carrying rolls of punched tape around in my pocket and then having to nurse them through the feeders. Here's a blast from the past: teletypes.

Matt: Another peeve is youngsters who speak in the presence of their elders.

Posted by: David Cohen at September 10, 2005 12:21 AM

Matt Murphy:

Get with the times. "YouknowwhatImean" is the currency. Excuse me, I should use the shorthand 'knowwhatImean'. You can convert it into a drinking contest every time a professional athelete is interviewed.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at September 10, 2005 1:28 AM

Cashiers or clerks who don't speak English and become impatient as if YOU were the foreigner.

Posted by: Martin at September 10, 2005 1:30 AM

David Cohen:

I'm too hip to speak, I prefer to flaunt convention in cyberspace.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 10, 2005 5:23 AM

Fred Jacobsen:

No way, "knowwhatImean" is catching up but "you know" is still the standard. Heck, you can win a cool grand pointing out how often people say it.

(Speaking of athletes, we know that the winning "specimen" for the above contest was a Nebraska football player. I'm betting it was former NU weakside linebacker Demorrio Williams, who was a great athlete but whose postgame interviews used to set my teeth on edge.)

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 10, 2005 5:57 AM

David Cohen: At what age do you think it proper for youngsters to speak?

You guys think you go back? Remember using RNO/EDT (or was EDT/RNO) as your word processor?

I helped a chemistry professor format a textbook for publication. Probably one of the first to be written on a computer. Setting the formulas was quite a feat and when one printed correctly, there was, to reference an earlier post, both literal and figurative, dancing in the streets. We had to figure out how to get the computer to do what we wanted it to do and when I use the word, computer, I mean of course a dumb monitor. The brains were in a climate controlled inner sanctum the size of a small airplane hanger which only anointed priests could enter.

In the old days before user friendly printers that bend over backwards to anticipate your every need, there was a printer rightly called the "Diablo" which when it was good, it was very good and when it was bad, it was a holy terror. It was so prickly that it wasn't unusual for incantations to be chanted as one sent one's brainchild to it.

My first desktop was a Digital Rainbow. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. No longer did I have to vie for a seat in the computer room with students who spent days at a time hunched over their terminals and only took showers for parents weekend. When Apple came out with their first little machine that had a mouse attached, it seemed so advanced and space age, it literally and figuratively, made our jaws drop.

Sorry for the long trip down memory lane. Those days were fun. There was a real feeling of being pioneers. Now we have the wisdom of the ages, literally and figuratively, at the touch of our fingertips on the keyboard of laptop the size of a note pad.

I love it.

Posted by: erp [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 10, 2005 9:09 AM

erp: There's only one possible answer to that question.

Posted by: David Cohen at September 10, 2005 9:57 AM

and that answer is ...

Posted by: erp [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 10, 2005 10:22 AM

erp, I *still* write documents in EDT. (Though just small ones -- usually notes on how some process works.) My employer still has a VAX-based finance system, though we're transitioning away from it, bit by bit.

Mmm, there's a good peeve: the verbing of a noun.

Posted by: Guy T. at September 10, 2005 10:57 AM

Obviously, one day younger than I.

Posted by: David Cohen at September 10, 2005 11:45 AM

David: you are solid 15 years younger than I am. I remember the Uof C when the faculty all had thick emigre accents and people still talked about the real Hutchins College.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 10, 2005 12:32 PM

Well, if we are going to nostalgically name-drop:

Izaak Wirzsup in Calc 141: "Eez no eezy vay in matematics, eez only der right vay."

WYLBUR on a IBM 370 TSO selectric terminal

The GSB's RJE station and card punches among the HP2000 terminals in Haskell Hall that no one but us select few undergrads used when the real "Comp Center" was packed to the gills at quarter's end.

TECO on 110 baud teletype connected to a PDP-10 (Alt!-Alt!)

A crosscompiled PL/M program downloaded to a Sol-80 with 20K of memory, but no hard drive. (And the 4k hand soldered memory board worked the first time!)

Recompiling the Fortran source code to "Dungeon" to fix a bug in the magic bucket that made it unwinnable.

Getting caught by the dept. head playing "Spacewar" on "his" GT-40 graphics terminal . (It used the front panel register switches as the controls for two players. "Lunar Lander" used the light pen.)

To reuse a W.C.Fields quote: "Those were the days, may they never come again."

And returning to the proper topic,here's another peeve: people who break off in-person conversations to answer phones, email and other electronic intrusions. Especially conversations where time and concentration are critical, as in job interviews.

And some driving peeves: What part of "slower traffic keep right" don't you understand? If you want to go the same speed as the big truck to your right, then get behind him, don't pace him. That "slow vehicles, speed limit 35 " lane on the right is not intended for passing, which you think you'd have learned the second time you had to slam on your brakes to keep from rear-ending a tractor trailer rig. And then there are the drivers who realize they are dawdling just as you draw abreast of them, forcing you to hit 75 when they were doing 45 when you started to pass.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 10, 2005 1:51 PM

Raoul,
I've lived in Reno, San Diego, Chicago, Denver, Columbus OH and now, like you, in Seattle, and the drivers up here are the worst offenders of your pet peeve I have ever seen. Drivers seem to take pleasure in pacing slower vehicles and causing back-ups. Even worse, they do so while displaying "Don't Tailgate" and "Kerry-Edwards" bumper stickers and flashing dirty looks in their rear-view mirrors.

Posted by: Patrick H at September 11, 2005 11:21 AM

Another one: gov't mailings aimed at adults that feature cartoon characters, and in the process treat us like moronic 5-year olds. Case in point arrived yesterday: the King County voter pamphlet for the primary later this month. No description I can come up with will do it justice, so I refer you to this guy's pictures and deconstruction of it. No wonder they can't run a competent election.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 11, 2005 2:22 PM

Orrin, Goliath had 'sword and spear and javelin'. Why didn't he throw the darned javelin? Not very bright to wait for hand-to-hand (or on the wrong side, and doomed regardless).

----

AllenS: Always buy packages of sausage buns in groups of 5. Never buy an odd number of packages of bratwurst. You're welcome. :•)

Posted by: old maltese at September 11, 2005 3:29 PM

Speaking of computer punch cards. I'm old enough to remember playing solitaire with actual cards. :)

Posted by: RC at September 11, 2005 5:44 PM

AOG and Gov,

The screwy "linkcycle" is because my dear brother inserts posts out of order when he sees fit, rather than just adding them in order. Since the neighboring pages don't get rebuilt by Movable Type, you end up in a nasty loop.

Posted by: The Other Brother [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 9:06 AM

I can't stand:

Pluralizing singular names, such as when someone refers to the "John Roberts'" (referring to John Roberts and other judges like him), or to the "Tom Bradys" (referring to high priced NFL quarterbacks).

This response to the question "how are you". "Good, and yourself?"

When newscasters say "in studio" instead of "in the studio".

"The (insert letter here) word". Ex. the "L" word (liberal, lesbian).

Bling. All hip-hop affectations by anyone. Especially white folk.

Posted by: Robert Duquette at September 12, 2005 10:10 AM

Yo' homes, why you illin'?

Posted by: oj at September 12, 2005 10:16 AM

I'm representing, dog! Now, talk to the hand!

Posted by: Robert Duquette at September 12, 2005 10:50 AM

Robert:

This response to the question "how are you". "Good, and yourself?"

Why do you dislike that ?

Posted by: Michael Herdegen [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 2:06 PM

It should be "Good! And you?". Call me a purist.

Posted by: Robert Duquette at September 12, 2005 2:11 PM

old maltese:

Since the shepherd's sling has a maximum range of perhaps 200 meters, and could be both deadly and accurate up to 100 meters, Goliath may not have had an opportunity to close to javelin range.

If he failed to take a shield, or to dodge, duck, and weave, then it was overconfidence more than David's skill which doomed Goliath.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 12, 2005 2:19 PM

"Drivers seem to take pleasure in pacing slower vehicles and causing back-ups. Even worse, they do so while displaying "Don't Tailgate" and "Kerry-Edwards" bumper stickers and flashing dirty looks in their rear-view mirrors."
Don't forget the "One Less SUV" bumper stickers - it's all I can do to not ram our Suburban into those cars...

Posted by: The Wife at September 12, 2005 2:24 PM

Excellent! The Wife wins--I'll move a book from the library to the living room...

Posted by: oj at September 12, 2005 2:27 PM

re: slings and javelins

One thrown javelin is easy to dodge; a barrage of them thrown against packed ranks would not be. Similarly, a sling is nearly as deadly as a bow, but requires extensive training to use and plenty of space - a sling-armed army would just whack each other in the heads repeatedly.

Goliath's error was bringing weapons appropriate for mass close-infantry fighting to a duel.

Posted by: Mike Earl at September 12, 2005 2:37 PM

Balearic slingers didn't have much trouble working in groups.

Posted by: oj at September 12, 2005 3:43 PM

"The Wife wins"

We wuz robbed.

Posted by: AllenS at September 12, 2005 7:21 PM

I was just tweaking her. Whose is best?

Posted by: oj at September 12, 2005 7:28 PM

With apologies to Gov and the future wife, I like Peter's list since I have most of the same peeves.

Posted by: Patrick H at September 13, 2005 12:26 AM

Slingers can work in groups, and were part of every army's arsenal for centuries, but they can't be massed like archers and crossbowmen.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2005 1:33 AM

James Taylor's voice. That's fingers down a blackboard to me.

Fingers down a blackboard.

The Gallic Shrug.

Men who don't have any interest in any sport: what the hell are we supposed to small-talk about?

Americans over-using the word 'awesome'.

The French, the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish, the Australians, all mainland Europeans and people from the North of England. And the East of England, especially Londoners.

Posted by: Brit at September 13, 2005 4:54 AM

And one professional one that drives me to distraction. Bloody idiots - who haven't read so much as a newspaper since they were at school - bloody well telling me, as if it were one of the Ten Commandments, that I can't start a bloody sentence with 'And' or 'But'.

Posted by: Brit at September 13, 2005 5:13 AM

Adam Sandler. The guy doesn't even deserve 15 minutes of fame. Does anyone seriously find him funny?

Posted by: Robert Duquette at September 13, 2005 10:01 AM

He's excellent in Punch Drunk Love.

Posted by: oj at September 13, 2005 10:06 AM

Adam Sandler was also great in 50 First Dates.

However, I agree that his oversized success is puzzling.

Well, not puzzling, just disappointing.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2005 5:24 PM
« IF IT WASN'T SMOKING A CIGARETTE IT HADN'T BEEN ABUSED (via Robert Schwartz): | Main | THE BEST AND THE BRIGHTEST: »