July 3, 2005

BECAUSE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO LEAN ON A BABY:

The 'Dark' days of a Hollywood actress (CINDY PEARLMAN, July 3, 2005, Chicago Sun Times)

She's the other Jennifer. Poised, self-assured and always quietly beautiful, Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Connelly insists that the image was clouded by a few dark years.

"When I had my son Kai, I was alone," she says. "I was a single mom for a long time, and my baby was my safety net and my anchor. Quickly, I had to learn how to let my son go, and look at my own fears."

It wasn't an easy journey.

"I spent a lot of years searching, which is scary. I looked for safety."

She's pretty enough, but one of those vacant-eyed actors who's incapable of convincing you that they're capable of a meaningful thought, an impression this does nothing to dispel.

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 3, 2005 11:03 AM
Comments

even the ones that seem like they can hold a thought in their heads, are almost always mimicing. notice how many actresses now wear glasses to appear "smart" -- call it the banfield syndrome.

Posted by: cjm at July 3, 2005 1:05 PM

She's not the most accomplished or versatile actress, but has done very well in some very powerful roles. Her unique beauty complements her skills and makes her more of a "movie star" than a serious actress, which is fine. "House of Sand and Fog" was gut-wrenching, and I have a hard time imagining other actresses in that role.

Posted by: Judd at July 3, 2005 1:45 PM

"She's pretty enough, but one of those vacant-eyed actors who's incapable of convincing you that they're capable of a meaningful thought,"

She and Ben should be happy together.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at July 3, 2005 4:10 PM

She looked a lot better before the breast-reduction surgery.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at July 3, 2005 5:28 PM

"breast-reduction surgery"

That was part of her effort to become a serious actress.

Posted by: h-man at July 3, 2005 6:28 PM

thank goodness for "The Hot Spot" then (pace the brain reduction surgery).

Posted by: cjm at July 3, 2005 8:11 PM

I am sorry wrong Jennifer. Oh, well, if you've seen one Jennifer, you've seen em all. Or talked to one.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at July 4, 2005 6:24 PM

Posted by: LC at July 5, 2005 5:51 PM

Let's just appreciate their work as actors; most of them as people are either obnoxious or dim bulbs. They have no concept of how real people exist in the world.

Posted by: LC at July 5, 2005 5:51 PM

seems like ben is working his way through all the jeenifers in hollywood.

Posted by: cjm at July 5, 2005 8:12 PM