June 27, 2005

OKAY, MAYBE IT IS YOUR MOTHER'S NRA:

Jewish woman is new president of National Rifle Association (Joshua Runyan, Chicago Jewish News)

As a Jewish woman and Harvard-educated lawyer, Sandra Froman admits that, at least on paper, she doesn't seem the natural choice to lead the National Rifle Association. But the Second Amendment, she points out, is all about empowerment.

"I've never met a gun I didn't like," says Froman, 55. "I wish I had more time to practice. My favorite gun is normally the one I was able to take out most recently, but I shoot pistols, rifles, black-powder rifles."

Froman, who became the newest president of the almost 4-million strong NRA in April, explains that she didn't always love the smell of gunpowder or a shotgun's recoil. She grew up in a Jewish home in San Fransisco, raised by parents who didn't own firearms.

"I didn't care about guns. I didn't know anything about them," she says. "The most I knew was from Westerns where the good guys had guns, and the bad guys had bows and arrows."

After attending Stanford University, she headed east for Harvard Law School, returning to the Golden State to practice law with the predominantly Jewish law firm of Loeb and Loeb. It was at her home there, 25 years ago, that someone attempted to break in while she slept.

"The noise woke me up. I came downstairs and saw this man trying to use a screwdriver to break through the lock on the door," she says. "I banged on the door. He stopped for a minute, and then kept trying to break in. I was scared to death. I didn't know what to do."

The would-be intruder left before police arrived, but life would never be the same.

A step down from Moses, but...

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 27, 2005 11:41 PM
Comments

I will desert my wife to worship her.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at June 28, 2005 12:08 AM

The NRA should find a homosexual to put in a high position as well. Make self-defense a primary thrust of gun rights rather than purely focussing on hunting...

Posted by: b at June 28, 2005 12:13 AM

Any member of the Pink Pistols would gladly volunteer. That attempted forced entry would be a shoot-first situation under Oregon law, by the way. I certainly would.

Posted by: ghostcat at June 28, 2005 12:21 AM

Robert,

How come we never meet women like this at those Jewish singles get-togethers?

Posted by: bart at June 28, 2005 6:21 AM

There's a great "Borscht Belt" standup routine to be written around the concept of a pistol-packing Jewish mother. Alas, I am not the man to do it.

Posted by: Mike Morley at June 28, 2005 10:18 AM

Bart: Probably because I am married:-)

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at June 28, 2005 11:03 AM

There's a great borscht-belt comedy album from the 60's about a Jewish James Bond (Agent 6.95...marked down from 7.00). The leader of the organization (T.A.N.T.E.; yes, he was "the man from TANTE") was, of course, "M"...but "M" stood for "Momma", and she wouldn't let her spy son, Jake, carry a gun. Her reason: "You could put out an eye, or kill yourself...or even worse!"

Posted by: Foos at June 28, 2005 11:19 AM

There was also the Ballad of Irving, the 142nd fastest gun in the West:

He came from the old Bar Mitzvah spread,
With a 10-gallon yarmulke on his head
He always followed his mother's wishes,
Even on the range he used two sets of dishes.

Posted by: Governor Breck at June 28, 2005 11:44 AM

I guess the saying that a liberal is someone who hasn't been mugged (burglarized) yet, is true. Excellent article.

Posted by: erp at June 28, 2005 11:48 AM

"Never met a gun I didn't like,"--that's a real gun person.

There should be no real surprize about the lady's religion. My urban gun club is about 50% Jewish, although as we are not armpit-sniffing quota-mongers we have no exact statistics of this. Some people shoot Galils in our assault rifle matches.

You know, the NRA has always been an inclusive organization--If you are good on guns, your're good for us. The problem has been that the Vast Left Wing Conspiracy has tried to assemble a coalition of aggrieved victims into a governiong majority. Jews are expected to be a part of this. The problem was that the lefties took in the gun-grabbers and then expected all members of the coalition to march in lock-step with them, as well as the baby-killers and all the rest. It's called the party line, don't you know. We all know now that that dog wouldn't hunt.

To reply to b., suprs, about the NRA's emphasis, let me point out that the NRA has led a right-to-carry revolution, one state at a time. Millions of American men and women nowe carry, largely because of the NRA, and this revolution is permanent. For one thing RTC has been wildly successful, reducing crime without any of the predicted wild west consequences, and for another, the carry people are not going to give it up. Once it gets a hold of you, the "cold, dead hands" syndrome is very powerful.

The NRA had long promoted armed self-defense, running an "Armed Citizen" page of newspaper clippings of righteous shootings for at least the 5o years I have been a member.

We are big on hunting because that's where the votes are. There are millions more hunters that there are RTC people. More people live in deer and pheasant country that do where the other critters hang out. The NRA was been masterful in connecting the PETA people with the Brady and VPC people in the public mind. All this is why friends, neutrals and enemies agree that is you want to see how it's done, watch the NRA.

Posted by: Lou Gots at June 28, 2005 12:41 PM

And there's always Kinky Friedman and his .45-toting buddy Don Imus.

Posted by: ghostcat at June 28, 2005 12:57 PM

Lou -- My son is lobbying for us to joint the NRA. He thinks we need a new father/son activity and there's a pistol range down the street ...

Posted by: David Cohen at June 28, 2005 3:29 PM

David, I hope you are able to take advantage of this opportunity to share the shooting experience wioth your son. The shooting experiences I have shared with my boys have been among the most rewarding fo my life. Neither of them were much into guns in their earlier year. Both played the-sport-which-is-not-to-be-named on this site throughought their school years.

My oldest wanted to master weapons in preparation for the Army, so we went to the range or to the boonies for many months, working out with the HBAR (first with a .22 adapter and then with SS109's), the 9mm, and even dummy grenades.

The results were twofold. First he became an accomplished shooter, with the professional and personal benefits that brings in his business. He's a perennial double expert--not too bad for a doggie intel weenie. More importantly, we shared a period of the most intense bonding, as though we had lived through the mountaintop scene from the opening of the film, Conan the Barbarian.

My younger son is close to home and shoots with me at the club or out for groundhogs when we can get away. The visual talents which made him an excellent S***** goalkeeper made him an equally skilled pistolero and bad news for the 'hogs. His carry piece, like mine, is a subcompact .45. We are a 100% NRA life or better family.

Best of luck with shooting. Start with .22's to gain the skills before trying the big stuff.

Posted by: Lou Gots at June 28, 2005 5:13 PM

David: single E3s can't afford much of a neighborhood, so I used to turn in with a 4-cell Mag Lite in one spare boot and a .357 in the other, right by the edge of the bed. No surprise when they broke in ( luckily I was at work ) the only things they took were the only things I had worth stealing, namely the gun, the flashlight and the boots. Have fun shooting, and if you do bring a gun home, have a safe to lock it up in.

Posted by: joe shropshire at June 28, 2005 7:11 PM

There is an organization called Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (www.jpfo.org) which, to no one's surprise, has produced the leading publications on gun safety in the US.

Posted by: bart at June 28, 2005 9:05 PM