May 18, 2005

FUN WHILE IT LASTED:

Anglican theologians accept Catholic devotion to Mary: After 500 years churches agree on the mother of Jesus (Stephen Bates, May 17, 2005, The Guardian)

After nearly 500 years of intense division, Anglican and Roman Catholic theologians yesterday declared that one of the two faiths' most fundamental differences - the position of Mary, the mother of Christ - should no longer divide them.

The move, aimed at reconciling Protestants to Catholicism's devotion to the Blessed Virgin, exemplified in thousands of statues in churches and shrines across the world, cuts across one of the more arcane disputes between the two churches, but is likely to alarm some evangelicals and conservatives.

A document called Mary: Grace and Hope in Christ, published yesterday in Seattle and to be released in London on Thursday, declares: "We do not consider the practice of asking Mary and the saints to pray for us as communion dividing ... we believe that there is no continuing theological reason for ecclesiastical division on these matters."

The report was drawn up by a joint working party of the Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission which has been engaged in often tortuous negotiations about the two churches' differences since reconciliation began in the 1960s.

Presumably there's a committee to redress the altars?

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 18, 2005 1:15 PM
Comments

Anglicans are Protestants? Who knew?

Posted by: jefferson park at May 18, 2005 1:31 PM

How are they coming on that whole, the Mass is a pagan superstition thing?

Posted by: David Cohen at May 18, 2005 1:43 PM

When compared to watching a shaman stare intently at the liver of a chicken he just killed ... well a Mass just doesn't seem that wrong.

Posted by: jefferson park at May 18, 2005 1:57 PM

I don't know why this was a theological dividing point anyway, Protestants profess a belief in the communion of saints, and a belief that God hears all our prayers, and is capable of forwarding them to anyone he chooses in the communion of saints. The practice of invoking Mary in prayer may not be customary for Protestants, but it's hardly theologically objectionable. It was only the straw man argument, the claim that Catholics were idolizing Mary, that Protestants knocked down in the Reformation.

Posted by: pj at May 18, 2005 2:36 PM

"Blessed art thou among women . . ."

Mary has done me more solids (answered my prayers) than I can count.

I also pray to my deceased grandmother, God bless her soul. Doesn't make her a god. But she was and probably is an angel. :)

Posted by: george at May 18, 2005 3:35 PM

"Blessed art thou among women . . ."

Mary has done me more solids (answered my prayers) than I can count.

Posted by: george at May 18, 2005 3:36 PM

"Blessed art thou among women . . ."

Mary has done me more solids (answered my prayers) than I can count.

Posted by: george at May 18, 2005 3:36 PM

I've seen statues of the Blessed Mother in several Episcopal churches in the States, including the cathedral in Trenton, New Jersey.

I'm afraid the common Protestant tendency to denigrate Christ's mother is just blind reaction. Sometimes one gets the impression that if the Holy Father issued an encyclical to the effect that it was the infallible teaching of the Church to eat dung, some Protestants would grab their forks, shout "Yummy!" and rush off to the fertilizer store. Vide how it took some of them years to appreciate the evil of abortion, just because the RC's were out in front on the issue.

Posted by: Lou Gots at May 18, 2005 8:12 PM

Posted by: Lou Gots at May 18, 2005 8:13 PM

Get a grip Lou. From what I've seen most Protestants spend very little time thinking about Christ's mother much less denigrating her.

But sob not. I stand resolutely beside you in the war against those who would denigrate dung as fertilizer. Heresy!

Posted by: jefferson park at May 19, 2005 10:11 AM

> From what I've seen most Protestants spend very little time thinking about Christ's mother much less denigrating her.

You haven't read enough Chick tracts, then...

Posted by: Guy T. at May 20, 2005 12:43 AM