March 10, 2005

STICKER SHOCK:

Bumper sticker evokes road rage (SHANNON COLAVECCHIO-VAN SICKLER, March 10, 2005, SP Times)

Politics has always been divisive, splitting families and turning friend against friend.

This week, though, a Tampa woman learned that simple Bush-Cheney bumper sticker can bring trouble, if not danger, from a total stranger.

Police say Michelle Fernandez, 35, was chased for miles Tuesday by an irate 31-year-old Tampa man who cursed at her as he held up an anti-Bush sign and tried to run her off the road.

His sign, about the size of a business letter, read:

Never Forget Bush's Illegal Oil War Murdered Thousands in Iraq.

"I guess this was a disgruntled Democrat," Tampa Police spokesman Joe Durkin said. "Maybe he has that sign with him so he's prepared any time he comes up against a Republican."

Doesn't The Nation send you one of those signs if you subscribe?

Posted by Orrin Judd at March 10, 2005 4:51 PM
Comments

David Corn denies there is an angry Left.

Maybe Katrina put this guy up to it.

Posted by: jim hamlen at March 10, 2005 5:08 PM

I saw a car a couple of weeks ago that had a Bush-Cheney bumper sticker on one side, and a Kerry-Edwards sticker on the other side of the bumper (given the location down in Texas, I'm sure it wasn't James and Mary). I suppose in that case, the Tampa guy would have to be selective on which side of the car he passed on to do his sign-flashing.

Posted by: John at March 10, 2005 5:08 PM

that's some name "SHANNON COLAVECCHIO-VAN SICKLER"

Posted by: cjm at March 10, 2005 5:37 PM

Nathan's family might want to do a little more than just express disbelief because it sounds so unlike Nathan. It's going to end badly for Nathan if he keeps it up. He is going to attack the wrong person (ie. read armed and willing to defend themselves) and wind up seriously injured, dead, or imprisoned.

Posted by: capt mike at March 10, 2005 7:34 PM

i don't know about bumper stickers but they sent me a KVH poster, swimsuit edition. i know bart is down her but when a "cool mama heats up, look out brother".

Posted by: cjm at March 10, 2005 7:51 PM

The dumbest of the many "clever" anti-Bush bumperstickers that I've seen was the pre-election "Bush-Orwell 2004," which, unless you studied it from about a foot away, looked exactly like the official Bush-Cheney sticker. This seemed so dumb to me, on so many levels, that I was sure that Orwell must have been a local candidate trying to ride on Bush's coattails in some dogcatcher race somewhere. Sadly, a trip to the internet proved me wrong.

Posted by: David Hill, The Bronx at March 10, 2005 8:05 PM

Such road rage is most foolish in this age of cell-phones and the right-to-carry.

Posted by: Lou Gots at March 10, 2005 9:04 PM

Posted by: Lou Gots at March 10, 2005 9:05 PM

David: There's a car I see in the Temple parking lot with a "Bush/Cheney 1984" sticker that I've always thought was pretty clever.

Posted by: David Cohen at March 10, 2005 11:15 PM

What is it with the Left and bumper stickers?

If you ever troll the Democratic Underground (a truly guilty pleasure), you will find much discussion of this bumper sticker or that bumper sticker. It's a phenomenon that I don't think you see nearly as much among conservatives beyond the simple "Bush/Cheney '04."

I mean, really, is some short slogan on your old Volvo going to affect anything? Anything at all?

Posted by: Seven Machos at March 11, 2005 1:49 AM

It is amusing how people who go about accusing others of being simplisitic seem to always boil their philosophy down to a slogan that can be read at 60mph. Maybe it's because any more will tax their meagre thinking abilities.

On the other hand, there are a lot of leftists who go out of their way to be provocative and attract attention to themselves, then become all indignant when people do pay attention to them, because it's usually not the kind of attention they crave. (Like laughing at someone with green hair whose faces glitters so much that they look like they fell face first into a fly fishing tackle box.)

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at March 11, 2005 2:03 AM

Seven Machos:

The bumper sticker on the back of my hunk-of-junk '89 Toyota Corolla reads "Flush the Johns '04."

I WILL take it off someday, but I guess I'm still savoring the lamentations from the DU crowd.

PS A colluquial name I use for Democratic Underground is The Sewer, in light of the popular Internet shorthand "Rats" in reference to the worse half of our political party system.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at March 11, 2005 2:18 AM

I think I read about this bumper sticker yesterday on this site:

"Bad Liberal, No Bumper Sticker"

Posted by: pchuck at March 11, 2005 9:53 AM

When I was in college, I had a bumper sticker that said "Nicaragua is Spanish for Afghanistan."

Posted by: Bart at March 11, 2005 10:57 AM

When I was in law schoool at the University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho in the late 1980's, I saw a beat-up VW Bug with a "Meat is Murder" sticker on the left side and a "Keep Abortion Safe and Legal" sticker on the right side. Curious.

Posted by: pchuck at March 11, 2005 12:42 PM
« THE AMERICA CONNER PETERSON LEFT BEHIND HIM: | Main | SOMEONE GET SOME SMELLING SALTS FOR THE PALEOCONS: »