January 27, 2005

BRING OUT YOUR DEAD:

Read My Ears (THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN, 1/27/05, NY Times)

Having spent the last 10 days traveling to Britain, France, Germany and Switzerland, I have one small suggestion for President Bush. I suggest that when he comes to Europe to mend fences next month he give only one speech. It should be at his first stop in Brussels and it should consist of basically three words: "Read my ears."

Let me put this as bluntly as I can: There is nothing that the Europeans want to hear from George Bush, there is nothing that they will listen to from George Bush that will change their minds about him or the Iraq war or U.S. foreign policy. Mr. Bush is more widely and deeply disliked in Europe than any U.S. president in history. Some people here must have a good thing to say about him, but I haven't met them yet.

In such an environment, the only thing that Mr. Bush could do to change people's minds about him would be to travel across Europe and not say a single word - but just listen.

They have nothing to teach us except for caution about secularizing.

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 27, 2005 11:46 AM
Comments

That article is great! Gives me greater pride in our country and our president.

Posted by: Tom Wall at January 27, 2005 12:38 PM

They fail to realize we've been listening for years, we look to their history and they're usually wrong.

And they will once again be proven wrong. On many subjects.

Posted by: Sandy P at January 27, 2005 12:46 PM

> They [Europeans] look at Mr. Bush as someone who stole something precious from them.

We hateses the Bush, yes we does!

Posted by: Guy T. at January 27, 2005 1:58 PM

I'm sure I could easily spend a few grand worth of NYT expense money, hang out in a few gay bars in Berlin and write the same article as Freidman did here. This piece was in the word processor before his plane hit the tarmac at Tempelhof.

Posted by: Bart at January 27, 2005 2:09 PM

Haven't the Euroweenies figured it out yet? We don't care what they think.

Our arrogant cowboy isn't about to worry being snubbed by a bunch effete babboons.

He's not only the big enchilada, but the biggest, baddest enchilada in history.

It's wonderful being proud of our president again.

Posted by: erp at January 27, 2005 2:50 PM

Yeah sure. The President of the United States is going to take the advice of a bunch of barstool philosophers in Germany on how to run his foreign policy.

According to Mr. Friedman, in a couple of hours I'll be ready to give Chancellor Schroeder foreign policy advice. What a waste of good jet fuel.

Posted by: Mikey at January 27, 2005 3:18 PM

Let me put this as bluntly as I can: There is nothing that George Bush wants to hear from the Europeans, there is nothing that he will listen to from them that will change his mind about them or the Iraq war or U.S. foreign policy. Europe is more widely and deeply disliked in the United States than at any time in history. Some people here have good things to say about them, but they are all liberal Democrats, and have no influence.

Posted by: jd watson at January 27, 2005 3:22 PM

"...there is nothing that they will listen to from [sic] George Bush that will change their minds..."

Yep. The ideas "listened to from" closeminded bigots are irrefutable and need no response.

"Some people here must have a good thing to say about him, but I haven't met them yet."

I suspect Friedman hasn't put much effort into finding those people, either.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at January 27, 2005 4:59 PM

Friedman was around in the 80's and I was a kid. How come he doesn't remember how the Europeans hated, hated Reagan.

Posted by: AML at January 27, 2005 5:29 PM

AML: It's one of the classic distinctions between liberals and conservatives: Conservatives think we should study and learn from history; Liberals simply revise it and select from it.

Posted by: John Resnick at January 27, 2005 5:38 PM

Yes, of course you're right, John Resnick. Just watch the news and see all the dems stare blankly when reminded of Saddam's WMD. The whole World believed he possessed them, but now? Nah, never happened, Bush (and Condi) made it up and lied about them.

Posted by: at January 27, 2005 6:02 PM

Friedman writes a piece ensuring future dinner invitations from the eurotrash, and the NYT, solicitous of his nourishment, prints it. How Amrica benefits is not part of the scene.

Posted by: LUCIFEROUS at January 27, 2005 8:05 PM

AML:

If you were a kid in the 80s, you and I are probably about the same age, maybe give or take a few years (I'm 23). It's interesting that we know how the Euroswine hated Reagan but Friedman apparently doesn't.

Here's a list of quotes from 1980s Europeans about Reagan. Same old, same old.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at January 27, 2005 8:54 PM

No one is going to confuse Tom Friedman with a deep thinker. The article really is not that bad. He does not justify the dipwads. Whether he understands that they live in a fantasy world built on socialism and denial (or should that be de Nile) is anotherthing entirely.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at January 27, 2005 9:17 PM
« THIN LINE BETWEEN: | Main | I SUPPORTED FREEDOM UNTIL I FOUND OUT GEORGE BUSH WAS FOR IT: »