November 4, 2004

THE LABILE LIABILITY:

THE UNBEARABLE DARKNESS OF BEING: The day after the election the talk is about everything except the obvious: It hurts! (Lakshmi Chaudhry, AlterNet)

It’s Wednesday morning and after staying up late to watch election returns, I’ve had a restless night. I fight to stay asleep, to postpone the inevitable moment when I'll get up – and know. As I lay in bed, a friend’s comment from last night echoes in my head: “It’s not our country anymore.” If it ever was, I wonder. But she’s right. A lot of progressives had hoped to reclaim it this election.

As I struggle to get through the day, dragging around the weight beginning to settle on my heart, her words stay with me. They echo in the back of my head when I hear Kerry's concession speech; watch the CNN blowhards natter on about "unity"; read the inevitable lefty post-mortems that crowd my e-mail inbox.

They talk about everything except the obvious: It hurts! All this ink spilt on the sell-out Democratic Party, the incompetent media, and the future of a divided nation and not a word about the emotional reality of loss. Do you think it's because they're mostly men? Natch.

All the blame-mongering in the world can't erase the pain or, more importantly, the fear. My mind can handle the body blow of defeat, but it's the slow, seeping chill of dread that is harder to fend off.

They thought the country might choose them to lead the War?

Posted by Orrin Judd at November 4, 2004 11:37 AM
Comments

Just for grins, I visited dailykos today.

I think I discovered a fundamental problem with Democrat fundamentalists: self annointment as "progressives."

Doing so, they put all their beliefs on a pedastal far above anything approaching critical examination. What is worse, the very term instantly demonizes all who disagree.

Just like Christian fundamentalists, only, if somewhat difficult to imagine, far more so.

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at November 4, 2004 12:02 PM

Jeff:

I hate to sound like Mrs Grundy, but the other thing striking about dailykos and blogs like it is the language. Around the blogosphere, you can almost identify the politics of the site by simply counting the f-words. Their pervasiveness clearly makes debate impossible, which I imagine is the idea, and reinforces the stereotype of a kind of frothing personal intolerance among activists. I'll bet the President picked up more than a few votes from people who actually preferred the Democratic agenda but couldn't abide their Michael Moore standards of civility.

Posted by: Peter B at November 4, 2004 12:19 PM

You people don't get it. It's about ME da*n it. ME, ME, ME. Don't you care about how I FEEL. The world revolves around MY FEELINGS and your failure to acknowledge that makes ME FEEL even worse. I find it intolerable that my inferiors could make ME FEEL so bad.

Good grief, I thought these people were supposed to be the party of sophisticated ideas.

Posted by: Jeff at November 4, 2004 12:31 PM

Jeff:

What sort of "sophisticated ideas" can you expect from a three-year-old who's never heard the word "NO" in his/her life? (No matter what the birthdate and age on their drivers' licenses.)

Posted by: Ken at November 4, 2004 12:48 PM

I feel their pain. (okay, not really -- schadenfreude is more what I actually feel)

Posted by: jd watson at November 4, 2004 2:15 PM

jd:

Tragically, nothing can be done about their pain, as presumably there will be no Department of Wellness to treat it.

Posted by: Peter B at November 4, 2004 2:21 PM

Peter:

That too--I was also appalled by the language (and spelling, and grammar).

Remember that thread a couple weeks ago all about the word "any?"

The persuasion of several posters was obvious due to both language and (to my eye anyway) a preference for hyperbole over analysis.

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at November 4, 2004 2:22 PM

Been there. Done that. Did not feel that way about it. Spirit of '64 people know about getting it handed to you, but we didn't let it get us down. We knew what happened and why and we kept on fighting until we put the coonskin of the wall.

Leftists, on the other hand, have good reason to dispair. History has moved on. The Motherland of Socialism has fallen. You don't win elections anymore by showing Social Security cards being torn in half.

Posted by: Lou Gots at November 6, 2004 4:25 AM