August 8, 2008

GONNA NEED A BIGGER ESCALATOR:

Robert Hazard, Songwriter, Dies at 59 (THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, 8/08/08)

Robert Hazard, a songwriter and musician from Philadelphia who wrote the 1983 Cyndi Lauper hit “Girls Just Want to Have Fun,” died on Tuesday in Boston. He was 59 and lived in Old Forge, N.Y. [...]

Mr. Hazard, born Robert Rimato, led the band Robert Hazard and the Heroes, a fixture in Philadelphia clubs through the mid-1980s. He wrote that their big breaks came when Kurt Loder, in town to review a Rolling Stones concert, heard them in a bar and they were featured in Rolling Stone magazine. Soon they had an RCA Records contract. His song “Escalator of Life” became a hit soon after.

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 8, 2008 6:30 AM

The gayness of so many 80s music videos is much more evident seen from 20 years later.

Posted by: Jorge Curioso at August 8, 2008 11:17 AM

A couple of things:

Wow, I didn't know a dude wrote "Girls Just Want to Have Fun.”

I first heard that song one night when I was a freshman at Loyola University in New Orleans. I was with a bunch of fraternity brothers at a bar called Tin Lizzies on Ferret Street when a slew of sorority girls from Tulane came in drunk and endlessly belting out that song.

Posted by: pchuck at August 8, 2008 11:29 AM

pchuck, I vaguely remember hearing about Tin Lizzie's while at Loyola in the early 1990's, but I think it may have already been gone by then. I remember ATII, Les Bon Temps, and Miss Mae's uptown.

Posted by: Jorge Curioso at August 8, 2008 11:43 AM

Jorge: Yeah, it closed in 1984. It was near The Boot. Another famous uptown bar was Shanahan's, which went out of business in the early 1990's.

I worked at Bruno's, which is still around. I also worked at Parlay's on the lakefront.

ATII's and Miss Mae's were big spots. Miss Mae's never closed, I don't think they even had locks on the doors. Also Fat Harry's, F&M Patio Lounge and TJ Quills were regular spots.

I also remember in the French Quarter a place called Port of Call that had the best burgers and they had a drink called a Monsoon. This concoction was in a 32 oz. plastic cup that had a bunch of different kinds of rum (inlcuding 151) and after you had one, you were blind drunk.

Finally, there was a place in Mid-City that served drinks that had the strangest ingredients. They could make a drink taste like anything, including cotton candy, chocolate bars, bubble gum, etc. I recall they used lots of milk as an ingredient. It was the type of place you'd go to like once or twice a semester just because it was so out of the ordinary. I don't remember the name of it.

Posted by: pchuck at August 8, 2008 1:11 PM

I assume you changed the lyrics appropriately?

Posted by: oj at August 8, 2008 1:16 PM

Was Shanahan's the one on Carrolton, next to the Winn-Dixie? Oh, yes, Port of Call was great. Down almost at Esplanade, IIRC. Great stuff. I think Miss Mae's had mixed drinks for something like 50 cents, and they didn't even bother with glass. Everything was served in a go cup.

Posted by: Jorge Curioso at August 8, 2008 1:54 PM
blog comments powered by Disqus
« REBUILDING THE TOWERS: | Main | NOT THE DEATH OF A NATION BUT THE BIRTH OF TWO: »