June 3, 2008

WHERE'S HUNTER S. THOMPSON WHEN HIS PARTY NEEDS A CHRONICLER?:

A Campaign to Hate (Richard Cohen, June 3, 2008, Washington Post)

I have come to loathe the campaign.

I loathe above all the resurgence of racism... [...]

I loathe what has happened to Hillary Clinton. [...]

I loathe what has happened to Bill Clinton.

I loathe what has happened to the press. I loathe the incessant blogging and commenting and talking and yapping and hype. I hate that Clinton's observation that Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated in June ran on and on when everyone save some indigenous people in the Brazilian rain forest knew what she meant. I hate that for days these same outlets discussed the relevancy of whether John McCain could be constitutionally barred from the presidency because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone. This, too, is sad.

Sad? The Democrats are funnier than any sitcom on tv.

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 3, 2008 11:56 AM
Comments

Geez, what a crybaby. Know what I do when I get sick of politics? I turn off the TV! Get away from the computer, go for a walk, teach the kid how to throw a Frisbee, whatever. None of these whiners seem to realize that nobody's got a gun to their head.

Posted by: Bryan at June 3, 2008 1:15 PM

"Get away from the computer"? I'm inexplicably sad.

Posted by: Ibid at June 3, 2008 5:15 PM

Where's Thompson?

Well, he killed himself.

Posted by: Benny at June 3, 2008 6:50 PM

Cohen is right, though. Politics has always been theater; this is politics as tawdry soap opera, fueled by the web, talk radio and cable TV.

It's dangerous to our republic, because it causes the presidency to accrue the wrong sort of (inflated) meaning and symbolism.

Posted by: Tom at June 3, 2008 11:22 PM

Cohen wrote the same sort of column just before the Supreme Court ruled against the FL court, basically saying that Gore had embarrassed himself and didn't deserve to win, and he (Cohen) was sick of the show.

Posted by: ratbert at June 4, 2008 12:21 AM

Politics has always been theater yet the centuries old Republic is suddenly threatened?

Posted by: oj at June 4, 2008 8:23 AM

Um, yes, when the politics is now tawdry soap opera, which is the point I expressed.

One may disagree with that premise or its conclusion, but one should at least properly characterize them when thus doing.

Posted by: Tom at June 4, 2008 8:56 PM

It was less soap opera when the topic was Jefferson's "black mistress"? Or "The Beast of Buffalo"?

Posted by: oj at June 4, 2008 11:05 PM