June 20, 2008

HE HASN'T EVEN BEEN ATTACKED YET:

Ghosts in the GOP attack machine (JONATHAN MARTIN, 6/20/08, Politico

The truth is that, less than five months before Election Day, there are no serious anti-Obama 527s in existence nor are there any immediate plans to create such a group.

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 20, 2008 5:31 AM

He hasn't been attacked and he is running neck and neck with McCain. Interesting.

Posted by: Mikey at June 20, 2008 7:28 AM

While I most fervently hope to be proven wrong, I chuckle at your optimism.

$500 million? McCain will need to drain his wife's net worth to compete.

No anti 527s? Maybe it's because all the potentially damaging attacks have been done up during the primaries, allowing Obama inoculation from coming attacks.

If Obama wins, I will be as aggravated and saddened as y'all, but I won't be surprised.

Further, it will vindicate my critiques of a corrupt and supine Republican party (and their addled supporting staff of idiot consultants), and the "black swan" theory.

I mean, if he's destined to lose in a landslide, and he wins, then what other explanation is there?

Posted by: Bruno at June 20, 2008 9:45 AM

Hey Bruno, I could use some help in getting sufficient answers to the following questions that I've posed previously here:

1. If a Conservative says he/she is "More Conservative than Republican," what message does that send to an American public that (rightly) conflates the two for easier analysis purposes?

2. If that Conservative answers the first question by saying "I'm only holding their (GOP)feet to the fire," what is the demarcation line between "Hold their feet to the fire." and "Throw them under the bus?" I'd really like to know where this line is, as lots of intellectual and media Righties tread this line on a regular basis.

The answers to the questions you give will help determine how to proceed with the eventual recriminations on 11/5.

Posted by: Brad S at June 20, 2008 12:07 PM

If money mattered Mitt Romney would be president. It's insignificant.

Posted by: oj at June 20, 2008 6:29 PM

Brad,

Not sure where you are going here. I support McCain, and have no real reason to "hold" anyone's feet to any fire in the Presidential race.

I'm merely cautioning against the happy talk about a "McCain landslide."

As to your other questions...

The simple insight (on the part of the 'conflating' American public) that not all Republicans are "conservative" would be a fine "message."

As for the line you ask about, I'm not sure. I'd like to "Hold some of their feet to the fire," and I'd like to throw some of them under the bus. Boner (and any other schlub defending earmarks) would be good bus candidate.

____

OJ, to argue that money isn't the "only thing" is 100% true. All the money in the world won't necessarily win you an election.

To argue that it doesn't matter at all is quite silly.

The idea that Obama isn't a threat is simply too optimistic. He's a marginally attractive candidate with $500 million, 10s of 1000s of newly registered voters, an army of PAID organizers (as opposed the right's funding of C3s and cocktail parties).

While Americans generally cand decide with out the helpful media, having them in the tank for you doesn't hurt.

Posted by: Bruno at June 21, 2008 8:25 AM

Bruno - you are correct: having a lot of money and a friendly media are both assets. And with both Sen. Obama is not running far ahead of Sen. McCain.

My guess is that the two candidates are far apart, and that Sen. Obama is the far weaker candidate because he has these advantages and still he is not ahead just over four months out.

I could be wrong, of course; but I do not think I am.

Posted by: Mikey at June 21, 2008 2:08 PM

This may be the election where having the media on your side proves to be a negative.

Olbermann and Matthews, Newsweek, and the NYT editorial page probably won't sway anyone who isn't already swooned by 'hope and change'.

Even soccer moms will vote on $4 a gallon. The Republicans just have to stick the energy issue to the Democrats hard, every day between now and then. Perhaps it is a good thing that McCain is not an 'oil' candidate, because he can do it with credibility.

Election night on MSNBC is going to be a thrill a minute.

Posted by: ratbert at June 22, 2008 12:58 AM