March 21, 2008

YOUTUBE IS STILL JUST A NICHE:

Reverend Who?: With Obama in West Virginia. (Byron York, 3/21/08, National Review)

“We need change, that’s what I believe in,” a young woman named Melissa tells me.

“What about all the stuff with his pastor?” I ask.

“The what?”

“You know — the news about the controversial things his pastor said.”

“I haven’t heard much about it,” Melissa says. “That’s not a good question for me.”

“I don’t know much about it,” says a young man named Nick. “I’ve just been hearing about it from people who aren’t supporters, so I don’t have any idea.”

Others seem to have stronger opinions. “I don’t think everybody who goes to one church has the exact same views as everyone else who goes to that church,” a young man named Paul tells me. “He doesn’t have any control over what his former pastor said.”

By the way, I ask, what was your reaction when you saw those video clips of Rev. Wright’s sermons?

“I didn’t see what he said,” Paul answers. “What did he say?”

It might seem farfetched to the media types who are consumed by Wright-gate, but perhaps Obama’s hope in West Virginia, which has its primary on May 13 and will award 39 Democratic delegates, lies in the possibility that a lot of voters simply haven’t heard of all the fuss about Rev. Wright.

Most people still know nothing about Senator Obama himself, why would they know anything about his pastor?

Posted by Orrin Judd at March 21, 2008 7:26 AM
Comments

Then why doesn't Hillary make sure people see those video clips ?

Posted by: Peter at March 21, 2008 9:17 AM

All that matters for Hillary is that the Superdelagates have seen the videos and that they realize that should Obama be the nominee, those videos will hit primetime and won't be avoidable for anyone with a television. The great thing is, McCain will be able to criticize the use of those videos all the way to the presidency.

Posted by: Patrick H at March 21, 2008 11:45 AM

You're completely right. Most people will sort of start paying attention at the time of the convention coverage. And they'll see a Vietnam war hero who they've heard about for 8 years as a GOP "Maverick" is running against a black first-term Senator who can't say what exactly he has ever accomplished.

It's gonna be a wipeout.

Posted by: b at March 21, 2008 11:48 AM

She's a liberal white Democrat. He can mau-mau her into not showing them. How does he stop conservative PACs?

Posted by: oj at March 21, 2008 12:39 PM

Maybe, b, but I'm worried that McCain might have a macaca moment, or a health problem, or the economy might continue to tank (possibly with help from Soros et al.).

Posted by: PapayaSF at March 21, 2008 1:21 PM

PapayaSF: A macaca moment? Against Rev. Wright's favorite parishioner? Dude, just pop the champagne and sit back and enjoy. This thing is over.

Posted by: b at March 21, 2008 1:29 PM
« YOU EVER TRY KEEPING UP WITH CURRENT EVENTS WHEN YOU'RE A CORPSE IN A CAVE?: | Main | TEKTONIC SHIFT: »