March 26, 2008

WHILE THE FAR RIGHT SITS IN THE CORNER AT THE BIG DANCE:

If McCain vs. Obama, 28% of Clinton Backers Go for McCain: If McCain vs. Clinton, 19% of Obama backers go for McCain (Frank Newport, 3/26/08, Gallup)

A sizable proportion of Democrats would vote for John McCain next November if he is matched against the candidate they do not support for the Democratic nomination. This is particularly true for Hillary Clinton supporters, more than a quarter of whom currently say they would vote for McCain if Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee. [...]

[O]nly 59% of Democratic voters who support Clinton say they would vote for Obama against McCain, while 28% say they would vote for the Republican McCain. This suggests that some Clinton supporters are so strongly opposed to Obama (or so loyal to Clinton) that they would go so far as to vote for the "other" party's candidate next November if Obama is the Democratic nominee.

Pretty funny to watch Rush Limbaugh and company play hard to get with a guy who doesn't need them.

Posted by Orrin Judd at March 26, 2008 7:58 AM
Comments

The funny thing is that I've had quite a few liberals say to me that, if Hillary gets the nomination, they're voting for McCain. If Hillary is too conservative for them, why are they voting for someone more conservative than her? For that matter, if George Bush is the living embodiment of evil (as they've been telling me for eight years) why are they voting for someone who is arguably more conservative than he is?
Not that I care, mind you, but it does make for an interesting mental excercise.

Posted by: Bryan at March 26, 2008 9:10 AM

My own experience supports this trend. I've been a conservative Republican for 30 of my 50 years, and in St. Barak's terminology, am pretty much a "typical white person". But I'm married to an Asian-American who is a professional woman, a life-long and reasonably moderate Democrat, and a Hillary supporter. My wife has expressed doubts about Obama's lack of experience and shallowness for some time, and she was disgusted by the ravings of Obama's spiritual guide and pastor. Like many Democrats, she has always liked John McCain's willingness to knock Conservatives. Then last week, she announced that if Obama gets the nomination, she would likely vote for McCain.

Now, she may have just been tweaking me a bit. But in 26 years of marriage, this is the first time she has even considered voting for a GOP presidential candidate.

If I were a Democrat, I'd be worried.

Posted by: JonSK at March 26, 2008 9:52 AM

Jon, but she is willing to vote for Hillary, IMHO the worse choice? That's amazing.

Does your wife support Hillary only because she's a woman? Does she think Hillary would be a good president given the volumes of negative information already made public about her, her husband and their associates?

Posted by: erp at March 26, 2008 11:46 AM

Actually, McCain DOES need Rush & Co. He needs them to keep acting like spoiled children, so that the independents won't be scared away by the coming attempts by the Dems to demonize him.

Posted by: b at March 26, 2008 12:19 PM

Rush is doing yeoman's work for McCain now, what with all the wrenches he's throwing. His way to kiss and make up, I suppose.

Posted by: pjbbuzz [TypeKey Profile Page] at March 26, 2008 12:47 PM

The McCain thing is so-o-o-o-o cool! The way the Republicans have played public opinion with McCain is a real A-Team, Hannibal moment: "I just love it when a plan comes together."

McCain is exactly what his background, his resume', as it were, makes him out to be, and this is someone most acceptable to conservatives. However, he has been packaged all these years as a so-called "moderate," which is a media code-word for leftist.

As someone who has worked with a lot of Marine colonels and Navy captains, I see a lot of familiar senior field-grade mannerisms in McCain, which is no surprise, since that's what he was--a Naval aviator captain. McCain will do just fine.

Truly, this is the most interesting presidential campaign since 1860. We are all privileged to witness it.

Posted by: Lou Gots at March 27, 2008 4:08 AM