March 4, 2008

MAKING AIR CORYELL LOOK CAUTIOUS:

McCain Looks Ahead and Sees Red
: GOP Candidate Says He Envisions a 50-State Campaign, Including Making a Run at Capturing California (RON CALIBORNE, March 4, 2008, ABC News)

Looking ahead to the general election campaign, Sen. John McCain of Arizona vowed Monday to mount a serious and determined effort to win California, the nation's largest state that has been a safely "blue," or Democratic state, in presidential elections for the last 20 years.

"I just want to compete in California and I understand the drawbacks, the cost of media, all of those aspects of it," McCain said aboard his Straight Talk Express bus after a town hall-style event in Waco, Texas. "I think as a Western senator, I understand their issues. I think environmental issues are very important in California. I think I can appeal to the Hispanic voter. I think I can appeal to the Asian voter. I think I can appeal to the independent voter, which is a larger and larger percent of registered voters. I don't think as a candidate that I want to say we're not going to compete in the largest state in America, which is right next door to my home state of Arizona." [...]

In addition to California, Steve Schmidt, a senior adviser to McCain who worked on Schwarzenegger's 2006 campaign, cited Washington, Oregon, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Maine as states that went Democratic in 2004, but may be ripe for McCain to take in 2008.

It's a big one, but Ohio is the only Bush state that Maverick has to defend. The rest of the campaign is offense.

Posted by Orrin Judd at March 4, 2008 8:43 AM
Comments

I want to believe this but absolutely everyone had the nomination in the bag for Hillary and the Obama phenomenon was totally missed.

It always is until it isn't.

Posted by: Perry at March 4, 2008 11:55 AM

Time to try out my new idea.

If Obama gets the nomination, McCain should have Hillary Clinton become his VP.

It would really shake up the political dynamic in this country. It would show who is really committed to change.

The 2001-2006 version of Hillary is not too far from McCain except for abortion and guns. If Hillary could just support partial birth abortion bans and no federal funding, we could have a meeting of minds.

What would Obama do? Pick Jeb?

I do realize many conservatives would have stokes but you can't make an omelet etc.

Posted by: Bob at March 4, 2008 11:59 AM

Good lord Bob. A sizable percentage of the GOP vote would be anti-Hillary (not pro-McCain) so putting Hillary on the ticket would tick off GOP voters, not the mention the Dems who want to put the Clintons behind them. And there are several better choices for GOP VP.

Have to agree with Perry. OJ's unbridled enthusiasm (remember his "60 GOP seats in '06" mantra) is way too early given Obama's huge money lead, the enthusiasm gap, the anti-war vote, and coming assault on McCain by the MSM.

Posted by: AWW at March 4, 2008 12:44 PM

AWW: You are being too conventional.

Any Dem voter who wants to put Clinton behind them is already voting for Obama. Pro-Clinton Dems will largely stay with her.

Anti-Hillary GOPers will have to swallow hard but either stil go to McCain or vote for no one. They will not vote for Obama.

Independents will eat it up.

The Obama convention bounce would be destroyed. The press would go crazy.

I understand this will take some getting use to but big risks carry large rewards.

50-0 time.

Posted by: Bob at March 4, 2008 2:10 PM

John Connaly, Phil Gramm, Steve Forbes & Mitt romney had money.

Posted by: oj at March 4, 2008 3:33 PM

I see there is a post on The Corner about McCain-Clinton. But it is talking about it like it is a bad thing!

Posted by: Bob at March 4, 2008 4:09 PM

If the "establishment" GOP had supported Blackwell in his run for OH Governor, he'd have been elected.
I can't think of a better Veep candidate in 2008, but, tnx to the "stupid party's" 2006 decision to let the Left define J. Kenneth, he's toast!
In case any have a doubt about my thinking, J. Kenneth Blackwell is the most Presidential Republican alive today.
Yes, I don't know all the Repubs alive today, but, compared to Rudy/Mitt/Huckabee/(lol)Paul/, he's a giant.
My dream tickets: