February 4, 2008

SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE FIRED...:

A Severed Car Grille? It’s Super Bowl Ad Time (STUART ELLIOTT, 2/04/08, NY Times)

Anheuser-Busch parodied another 1970s film, “Rocky,” with a Clydesdale as Sylvester Stallone and a Dalmatian in the Burgess Meredith role. The spot, among the best of the night, was created by DDB Worldwide, part of the Omnicom Group.

DDB also produced a hilarious commercial for Bud Light that poked fun at celebrity hucksters — including those who endorse beer for Anheuser-Busch. The spot presented the comedian Will Ferrell filming a fake commercial as a ’70s basketball player-coach named Jackie Moon.

What makes Moon moon over Bud Light? “A magical blend of barley, hops and delicious alcohol,” he proclaimed, discomfiting the director of the mock spot (“That’s not the line”).

...for that panda bear ad, which was basically a hate crime.

Posted by Orrin Judd at February 4, 2008 11:59 AM
Comments

Against Pandas?

The ads were pretty lame. The Dorito ad with the giant mouse was a pretty funny gag, though.

Posted by: Twn at February 4, 2008 12:37 PM

The UnderArmour ad reeks of Workers Paradise propaganda. That sort of ad makes one hope that UnderArmour ends up being a Target/WalMart discount brand, much like Mossimo is now.

Posted by: Brad S at February 4, 2008 12:46 PM

Hey, if you can't make fun of Chinese accents what can you make fun? (I did wince at that one.)

Loved the guy in the mouse costume kicking the cr*p out of the dude with the dorito mousetrap though too twn.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at February 4, 2008 12:54 PM

Not a very inspired bunch. Agree with all the comments. I did think the two E-Trade ones with the baby were amusing, though.

Posted by: Rick T. at February 4, 2008 1:59 PM

I liked the Bud Light fire breathing one.
Singed cat = funny.

Posted by: Brandon at February 4, 2008 3:14 PM

I liked the FedEx giant carrier pigeons.

Posted by: Mike Morley at February 4, 2008 3:16 PM

I hate the commercials and it seemed like the first half was commercials with a little bit of football being played.

In any event, I did wince at the ling-ling panda bear ad. I thought the Shaq horseracing ad wasn't too bad. The Underdog Macy's Balloon Coke ad was good; however, the James Carville - Bill Frist Coke ad was dreadful. The energy drink S&M battery cable ad was vile.

Posted by: pchuck at February 4, 2008 4:12 PM

Advertising is a dark art and I hate it.

I also winced at the ling-ling panda bear ad. What were they thinking? I strongly disliked the S&M battery cable energy drink ad. I also disliked the James Carville-Bill Frist Coke ad.

I liked the Macy's Thanksgiving Underdog Balloon Coke ad. For some unknown reason, I like the Shaq horseracing ad.

Posted by: pchuck at February 4, 2008 4:23 PM

Yes, but how do you feel about advertising?
(I know, it's Orrin's weird comments system)

Posted by: Bryan at February 4, 2008 5:01 PM

some how I missed the giant rat

well, there's always the election

Posted by: poetryman69 at February 4, 2008 10:19 PM

How about the unibrow dabbing a little Planter's Cashews behind each ear? That was funny.

All in all though it was not a very funny year for ads.

Posted by: Bartman at February 5, 2008 2:54 PM
« THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SADDAM'S IRAQ AND OUR LEBANON...: | Main | MR. FANTASTIC: »