February 4, 2008

BECAUSE, AT THE END OF THE DAY...:

Giants-Patriots Super Bowl the second most-watched TV show ever (DAVID BAUDER, February 4, 2008, Associated Press)

The New York Giants' thrilling win over New England was the most-watched Super Bowl ever with 97.5 million viewers, a total that is second only to the "M-A-S-H" finale audience, Nielsen Media Research said Monday.

The game eclipsed the previous Super Bowl record of 94.08 million, set when Dallas defeated Pittsburgh in 1996. The final "M-A-S-H" episode, which drew 106 million viewers in 1983, is the only other show in American broadcast history watched by more people.

...everyone wants to partake of what New England offers.

Posted by Orrin Judd at February 4, 2008 5:57 PM
Comments

New England is America's Europe.

We like to go there on holiday and ski or swim in its lakes or watch the leaves turn, but no one would live there.

More parallels -- obnoxious people who talk funny; leftist/elitist politics; with the exception of the Celtics (and this hateful recent 6 years) NE sports prowess is comparable to French military power. . .

What else? c'mon help me out people . . .

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at February 4, 2008 6:49 PM

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Posted by: Benny at February 4, 2008 8:01 PM

Democracy, coffee, beer, baseball, hockey, football, basketball...

Posted by: oj at February 4, 2008 8:49 PM

New England would join Canada if they could, and the only thing stopping them is that those hosers in the Great White North aren't that dumb, and don't want to be associated with those losers either. And who can blame them?

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at February 5, 2008 12:45 AM

I just wanted to watch them go down in flames. I received my wish. As a Dolphins fan I'm a Patriots hater from waaaaay back, not just some Johnny-come-lately.

Posted by: Tygurr at February 5, 2008 7:42 AM

Tygur:

The loss very much resembled the one to the Dolphins at the end of last year.

Posted by: oj at February 5, 2008 7:51 AM

Dartmouth College is showing the world how New England academics view democracy. And sports.

New England is OK. But there is a big difference between a native of Cape Cod, and one of Andrew's buddies who moved to Provincetown for the action. Likewise in Vermont, where the imports resemble Berkeley's finest more than anything else, and would shriek in terror if they saw a Green Mountain Man. And then there are the politicians.....

But, the baseball is the best. Perhaps that is all that really matters.

Posted by: ratbert at February 5, 2008 11:57 AM

I like NE. Although I've only spent time in Mass. I have family there.

Posted by: Bartman at February 5, 2008 2:06 PM