January 17, 2008

YOU BUY YOURSELF A MAC (via Bryan Francoeur):

'Mac People' More Open, Liberal Than PC Users?: Do Apple's Macintosh users lean more to the artsy and hip end of the personality spectrum than PC users. A new study seems to confirm that. (Elizabeth Montalbano, January 17, 2008, IDG News Service)

People who prefer Apple's Macintosh computers over PCs have long been considered to be on the artsy, hip end of the personality spectrum -- and now a study proves that "Mac people" indeed are more liberal and open-minded than average folks.

According to Mindset Media, people who purchase Macs fall into what the branding company calls the "Openness 5" personality category -- which means they are more liberal, less modest and more assured of their own superiority than the population at large. Mindset Media helps companies with strong brands develop ads targeted to people based on personality traits or people's "mindsets," and does research to that effect.

The Man makes you use a PC.

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 17, 2008 7:47 PM
Comments

Come the revolution there'll be camps for Mac-ites, and the first one in will be that annoying sob who represents the mac in those commercials. I for one can't wait.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at January 17, 2008 8:11 PM

I'm a PC user, but the above describes me to a "t"

Time to buy a mac I guess.

Jim, that was the best ad campaign ever.

Posted by: Bruno at January 17, 2008 8:31 PM

Come the revolution there'll be camps for Mac-ites

Every state will have its Camp Redmond, but each'll be run by Google.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at January 17, 2008 8:40 PM

The Man? Sean Connery?

Posted by: ratbert at January 17, 2008 10:42 PM

So Mac users are more open, and they demonstrate this by choosing a proprietary computer system. Steve Jobs is a marketing genius!

Posted by: BrianOfAtlanta at January 18, 2008 8:21 AM

We started on Macs probably 20 years ago. Had several of them. Got a PC when the Mac crashed and burned once too often.

Have I become more modest since then? Moi? That seems hardly possible.

Will there be a Mac in our future? Who knows. I like the slender little laptop unveiled last week. If interest rates keep going up, so will our disposable income, so maybe I'll be tempted.

Posted by: erp at January 18, 2008 8:24 AM

I must be one of those Rod Dreher "Crunchy Cons" -- a conservative with a Mac, both at work and at home.

Posted by: AP in PA at January 18, 2008 9:24 AM

As soon as they make the Mac platform more open (allowing me to use whatever hardware I want to pay for, not what they want to give me) I'll consider it. Hey, I'd be happy if they just sold the OS.

Posted by: Jay at January 18, 2008 11:35 AM

Wait, if my home PC runs Linux, am I required to vote for Ron Paul or Kucinich?

Posted by: Mike Earl at January 18, 2008 1:27 PM

Lyndon LaRouche

Posted by: Bryan at January 18, 2008 6:23 PM
« OF WHAT DOES THE REPUTATION OF DARWINISTS CONSIST...: | Main | WHAT DOES IT MATTER TO THE PACK WHICH IS THE ALPHA DOG?: »