December 2, 2007

SO NOT WITH IT:

Since we've had kids I'm lucky to make it to one, maybe two, movies a year (only Harry Potter this year). And now that you can use Netflix to go through the back catalogues of old tv shows, instead of going out to the video store, watch fewer new movies than we used to. But I think this is the first time this has happened--I was looking at this list of the Top 50 movies of 2007 and realized I haven't seen one, not one.

Posted by Orrin Judd at December 2, 2007 5:42 PM
Comments

The only ones I've seen are the animated ones - Ratatouille and The Simpsons.

Posted by: Brandon at December 2, 2007 6:10 PM

Rescue Dawn is a great movie. If you liked "The Great Escape," "Bridge Over the River Kwai," "Papillion,"--Herzog has trumped them all. Really.

Zodiac, although perhaps not an instant classic like Rescue Dawn, is worth seeing as well. Some fine performances (including Marge's husband from Fargo in a very different role) and a script that doesn't insult your intelligence. It's as good as any of the other police procedurals drawn from true stories, but In Cold Blood really hasn't been improved upon.

And Ratatouille is very entertaining as well.

Posted by: ted welter at December 2, 2007 7:02 PM

"No Country for Old Men" is one of those movies that comes close to being great but in missing is only hugely disappointing. I should have known after reading McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" that this movie made from another of his books would be bleak and depressing.

Posted by: Patrick H at December 2, 2007 10:07 PM

I only see movies on PPV.
Only one on the list "Bourne Ultimatum".
Where's "Transformers"?

Posted by: Mike at December 2, 2007 10:19 PM

Patrick H:
Instead of seeing "No Country for Old Men" I decided to read the book and was hugely disappointed in it. It is the most depressing, pointless, nihilistic book I've read in a long time. The actions of the characters are never convincingly explained, and even the villian, who outplans and out-thinks everyone else, seems to believe, for reasons unknown, that important decisions should be made by chance.

Posted by: jd watson at December 2, 2007 10:29 PM

Ratatouille was a great movie. Took the youn'uns to it. Bought the dvd. I like Bee Movie too.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at December 2, 2007 11:08 PM

I saw:

"Ratatouille" - fun film with absolutely beautiful animation

"Hairspray" - fun film that was surprisingly decent but not great

I went to see "No Country for Old Men", but it was sold out. I think the Cohen's are great filmmakers, but I'm apprehensive knowing its an McCarthy story. Other than "The Orchard Keeper", I haven't been able to finish one of his novels because they are so terrible.

I also plan to see "The Darjeeling Limited", since Wes Anderson is also one of my favorite filmmakers in spite of the disappointing "Life Aquatic".

I haven't even heard of most of the films on that list, though I question its pronouncements considering a film like "Grindhouse" is included.

Posted by: Shelton at December 3, 2007 1:14 AM

Ratatouille is the only only I've seen. It's excellent as Pixar films always are, if perhaps a tiny bit long (a first for them).

No surprise you haven't seen Persepolis, because in the US it's only been shown at a few film festivals so far.

Posted by: PapayaSF at December 3, 2007 1:19 AM

Shelton,
Except for the last 20 minutes, "No Country" was great and right up there with the best of the Cohen brothers other movies. It's still a must see for a Cohen brothers fan.

Posted by: Patrick H at December 3, 2007 2:41 AM

You didn't go to Ratatouille? Unexcusable!

Posted by: Mike Morley at December 3, 2007 8:17 AM

I read Persepolis which was pretty funny. Her communist parents welcome the revolution then get their comeuppance.

Posted by: oj at December 3, 2007 9:23 AM

Ratatouille was delightful. Underdog didn't make the list? Shame.

Posted by: Dave W at December 3, 2007 9:42 AM

No Country is not the nihilist work it appears on the surface.

The Coens saved Cormac from himself.

I think it's a masterpiece.

Zodiac was the only other one I saw and it was solid.

Posted by: Benny at December 3, 2007 11:59 AM

I saw Knocked Up on DVD. I thought it was funny but it was really really juvenile.

Posted by: pchuck at December 3, 2007 12:53 PM

Transformers, 3:10 To Yuma, Hot Fuzz, Bourne and 300 are worth watching.

I'll watch the Rat movie on DVD. Will be seeing Rescue Dawn later this week and maybe American Gangster.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at December 3, 2007 1:14 PM

I only saw one movie on the list, Once. It's great. The unlikely plot is of an Irish busker who meets an illegal Czech immigrant on streets of Dublin and they start making music together. This list is not what I would call a great list of the best movies of the year.

Posted by: Rich at December 3, 2007 1:55 PM
« NOTHING BECOMES US LIKE OUR ANTI-INTELLECTUALISM: | Main | HIS VINDICATION BY HISTORY WILL BE A COMMON THEME: »