December 2, 2007

LOOK WHO'S TANKING:

Romney to Address Nation on Religion (Mark Halperin, 12/02/07, TIME: The Page)

He's had a year to do so on his own terms, but now has to try and save his candidacy. One assumes their internal polls in IA show it's a big problem and the reason he's suddenly losing to a no-name Baptist minister.

Posted by Orrin Judd at December 2, 2007 6:59 PM
Comments

The mental gymastics people go through to convince themselves they can win boggles the mind.

The Rep base is saturated with evangelicals.
Evangelicals will NOT come out for a Mormon.

I don't mind Romney, and though by far not my favorite, I'd vote for him over Hil.

The fact is that he never will, and never did, have a chance at becoming president.

He'd make a great Sec. of Commerce, especially if his mandate was to wind down and abolish the agency.

Posted by: Bruno at December 2, 2007 9:36 PM

Who's more important - The evangelical base or the Libertarian base? Because I read on other blogs people saying, "Noooo, I'm never going to vote for that religious nanny-stater Huckabee!"

Personally, if I were running for president, I would court the evangelical base like crazy and toss a couple of bones to the Libertarians. But I haven't won any national elections lately, so what do I know?

Posted by: Bryan at December 3, 2007 8:36 AM

Huckabee is probably rising in IA because Giuliani is tanking, and McCain and Fred Thompson are no shows, more than him taking support from Romney.

Posted by: Chris B at December 3, 2007 10:42 AM

The politics of the blogs are extreme Right and extreme Left. The same folks who think the GOP is Libertarian thought W had committed suicide with the steel tarrifs.

Posted by: oj at December 3, 2007 10:50 AM

The premium that IA's caucuses place on organization meant that Rudy, Maverick and Fred were non-competitive. It was Romney's to lose. He is.

Posted by: oj at December 3, 2007 10:56 AM
« AS NEW REPUBLIC ON AMERICAN ATROCITIES... (via Brad S): | Main | HE TURNED ME INTO A PIMP: »