December 14, 2007

CYRUS IS ON THE MAINLINE:

Clemens 1998 (David Pinto, 12/14/07, Baseball Musings)

In reading the Clemens section of the Mitchell Report, McNamee gives a pretty clear time line as to when Roger started using steroids. It was after a series at Miami. Clemens pitched in that series on 6/8/1998. Here are his stats through that series: 6-6, 3.27 ERA, 9.2 K per 9, 4.3 BB per 9, 0.32 HR/9. From that date through the end of the season: 14-0, 2.29 ERA, 11.1 K per 9, 2.8 BB per 9, 0.48 HR per 9.

You only need to look at his numbers to see that he more likely started using in 1997.

Posted by Orrin Judd at December 14, 2007 8:47 AM
Comments

I don't like the Yankees and I don't like the Red Sox. I think lots and lots of player used PED in the past 15-20 years; however, this Mitchell Report strikes me as unfair. It appears to me that theses players have no way to rebutt these allegations and many many people are treating the Mitchell Report as truth. I watched a fair amount of ESPN last night and I heard "the truth is now out" said a number of times. I know it isn't a court of law; however, it does strike me as unfair.

I do think Clemens probably used PED. Also, what about Big Mac and Sammy Sosa, what about them?

Posted by: pchuck at December 14, 2007 12:34 PM

Bagwell????

Posted by: Benny at December 14, 2007 3:44 PM

The Mitchell thing is a joke overall. The problem with it was that there was no real systematic attempt to find out who did what. They ended up getting a very few sources -- with the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Orioles. Does everyone really think the other teams (cough, Boston, cough Tek, cough Nomar)were clean?

Given that, no names should've been named. They should've just concentrate on describing the PED culture circa 1995-2003 and how to clean up baseball and keep it clean.

As for Clemens, really, the only two seasons that stand out are the two in Toronto. His five seasons in NY were actually pretty similar to his last two seasons in Boston. I suspect that if he used regularly it was in Toronto, and then he rarely if ever did later(no more than the few times mentioned by the report).

The rest of his career can be explained by the fact that he got the work-out bug, kept himself in shape, along the lines of his idol Nolan Ryan.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at December 14, 2007 8:21 PM

He was obviously using when he threw the bat at Piazza. All the fierce competitor stuff looks to have been roids.

Posted by: oj at December 14, 2007 11:33 PM

Huh? I hated the guy when he was on the Sawx, and remember him as being a helluva a competitor then too.

Look, the guy's never been a favorite of mine, but it hardly sounds as if the reputed steroid use was regular. The dude was scared of needles for chrissakes.

With the exception of the dominant 97-98 seasons, his late career seems no different from Ryan's -- Clemens started better than his idol of course -- who similarly bulked up (and rage, ask Robin Ventura about that. Others have pointed to Warren Spahn as well as a good comparison.

And Pettite seems to have followed the Clemens workout routine, which critics have scoffed at, as if you need to be on roids to work out hard, with using steroids. (yeah, yeah he tried hgh for 2 days in 02 when he was injured)

And Duquette's still an idiot. He might not have had the Rog-ah of 97-98, but I think any intelligent gm would settle for the numbers Clemens put up in his last few seasons in Boston and his five in NY, which are basically identical.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at December 15, 2007 6:31 PM

At the end in Boston he wasn't just out of shape but didn't care that he was. Roids'll change you enough to cure that.

His resurgence was a figment of chemicals.

Interesting thing is he probably deserves the Hall for his career in Boston alone.

Posted by: oj at December 15, 2007 8:44 PM