November 4, 2007

GACKSHIRTS:

Reesing's school-record six TDs lead Jayhawks' rout of Huskers (11/3/07, AP)

No. 8 Kansas is having so much fun in the present, the Jayhawks can't be bothered with their mostly forgettable past.

For Nebraska, the present keeps getting worse.

Todd Reesing threw a school-record six touchdown passes and Kansas clobbered Nebraska 76-39 on Saturday. The Jayhawks kept themselves in the national championship picture while rolling up the most points ever scored against the hapless Huskers in their 117-year football history.

With a 76-39 loss to Kansas on Saturday, Nebraska passed the school record for most points allowed in a season in school history ... and there are still two games remaining for the Cornhuskers.

For you football fans out there, college or pro, who think your defensive coach is the worst in the country -- trust me, he's not any worse than Kevin Cosgrove.

Posted by Matt Murphy at November 4, 2007 2:35 PM
Comments

My Nevada Wolf Pack was destroyed by the Huskers in the first game of the season and didn't score a single offensive TD. Nevada's new defensive coordinator has lead the Pack to one of the worst scoring defenses in the NCAA - even worse than Nebraska's. I do think that if the game was replayed today it would be much closer as Nevada has improved dramatically, but the Pack's run defense is so weak I think Nebraska would still score over 50 pts.

By the way, the Husker fans are the nicest I've ever seen.

Posted by: Patrick H at November 4, 2007 5:14 PM

Tulsa and Rice have pretty horrible defenses, although their offenses frequently score a bit to make it more interesting.

Posted by: Kevin Whited at November 5, 2007 10:05 AM

Matt, up until August of this year my family and I lived in Omaha (near Aksarben) and although I was not born in Nebraska, I was somewhat of a Husker fan. When we originally moved to Omaha in 1997, they were co-national champs. I thought the Big Red hit rock bottom a couple of years ago; however, that clearly wasn't the case as exhibited by this weekend. How much longer does Bill C. have in Lincoln?

Is Bo Pelini available to take over the whole show in Lincoln?

Posted by: pchuck at November 5, 2007 12:06 PM

Patrick H:

It sounds like you were at the game, if your comments about the fans are any indication. If Nevada ever comes to Lincoln again, let me know and I'll take you to the Sidetrack Bar before the game and buy you a drink -- although you can decline to go if you object to popular songs being sung with profane lyrics. ;-)

Posted by: Matt Murphy at November 5, 2007 8:01 PM

pchuck:

Bill Callahan and his staff are absolute toast after this season concludes. Tom Osborne, who is now the AD, even appears to have slipped up and said so, although he still says he hasn't personally contacted anybody.

I thought they hit rock bottom too, and that no defensive coach could possibly get worse than Craig Bohl. Uh, wrong.

My dad was just down in Louisiana and the word is that Pelini has already been contacted by the athletic department (although I'd take Osborne at his word that he has not personally spoken to him) and has even taken a surreptitious visit to Lincoln on a private airplane. He is reportedly going to take some members of his LSU staff with him. The LSU fans seem okay with this because they figure he will be a head coach before too long and they want him out of the SEC. I'd take all this with a grain of salt, however.

The big problem is that Osborne won't announce his decision until the conclusion of the season, and assuming that NU doesn't reach a bowl game, that means we have to wait until late November for an announcement. It would be nice if he would just announce it now and get a head start on Texas A&M and Michigan.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at November 5, 2007 8:16 PM