October 14, 2007

YOUR HOOD IS SHOWING:

Voter Confronts McCain on Immigration (HOLLY RAMER, 10/14/07, Associated Press)

``Do the people in Washington - the politicians and the lobbyists and the rich people writing the checks - do they understand the amount of anger the average European Christian, native-born American feels when they see their country turning into a multicultural chaos Tower of Babel?'' [a man who spoke up at the Hopkinton Town Hall] said.

McCain started to answer, only to be interrupted by his questioner accusing him of supporting amnesty for illegal immigrants. Finally, McCain repeated his promise - ``I think for the 15th time'' - that he would secure the borders to stop illegal immigration before attempting anything else.

He also strongly objected to the man's argument about the nation's future and the impact of legal immigration.

``I believe the greatest strength of America is the lady who holds her lamp behind the golden door that says send me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses,'' he said, referring to the Statue of Liberty. ``And I am grateful to live in a nation that has been enriched by people coming to our nation from around the world.

``I will do everything in my power to secure the borders, but I love this nation and I love the people who have come from around the world,'' he said to loud applause.

The nativists aren't usually that honest about their derangement.

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 14, 2007 8:07 PM
Comments

If it wasn't for the fact that I've read so much commentary on the innernets from these lunatics, I'd suspect the fellow was a plant designed to make Mac look good.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at October 14, 2007 10:21 PM

More honest perhaps, but accurate in his description of the anger.

OJ optimistically believes that assimilation to America is automatic and robust. Again, if that is true, then all his arguments are true.

If that is NOT true, then they are not. McCain would be fine with me as nominee, but someone ought to run on assimilation, not only lip service to 'border security.'

The "multi-culti tower of babel" critique is a good one, even if he's a nativist.

Posted by: Bruno at October 15, 2007 8:53 AM

McCain has neither the brains nor the temperament to be president.

Posted by: erp at October 15, 2007 10:24 AM

Isn't legal immigration designed to encourage assimilation?

Posted by: Jay at October 15, 2007 10:51 AM

McCain, however, is always that dishonest on the subject.

Posted by: Benny at October 15, 2007 11:08 AM

No, it's designed to keep the "other" out.

Posted by: oj at October 15, 2007 12:23 PM

Assimilation doesn't work. The people who come here are Americans.

Posted by: oj at October 15, 2007 12:28 PM

The people who come here are Americans.

Like trolleys, Ellis Island is so 19th century.

It's hard to have a class struggle without classes, and what's the point of being an elitist if you are no better than everyone else? Which is why our elites and other aristocrat wannabes, working with bigots like La Raza, have started and encouraged the importing of a peasant/peon class and others who have no desire to become Americans (or better yet, force their culture on the rest of us.)

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at October 15, 2007 4:01 PM

Their culture is American. Nativism isn't. It's European.

Posted by: oj at October 15, 2007 7:27 PM