October 2, 2007

THE NATIONAL LEAGUE, WHERE ROUTINE FLY BALLS ARE TREATED LIKE HAND GRENADES...:

Holliday in and so are Rockies with epic win: He crashes home in 13th to cap three-run rally that puts Colorado in playoffs with 9-8 defeat of Padres (Dylan Hernandez, 10/02/07, Los Angeles Times)

Matt Holliday was on his back, staring into an October sky the likes of which he had never seen.

For the first time in 12 seasons, the Colorado Rockies were headed to the playoffs.

While a bloody and dazed Holliday recovered from a home-plate collision that resulted in the deciding run of the Rockies' 9-8 victory over the San Diego Padres on Monday night, his teammates were down the first-base line leaping into each other's arms, celebrating the 13-inning triumph in a one-game playoff for the National League wild card.

The Rockies moved on to a divisional series that starts Wednesday in Philadelphia, thanks to a comeback that was as improbable as the furious season-ending surge in which they won 14 of their last 15 games.

Ugly, but amusing, baseball. Now, what's the over/under on a 5 game Phillies/Rockies series? 80 runs?

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 2, 2007 6:28 AM
Comments

The scorer in Colorado is horrible. He only ruled one play to be an error in that error- plagued game. With a scorer like that, no wonder the Rockies had the fewest errors in MLB this season.

Posted by: mike m at October 2, 2007 6:49 AM

Hey, the scorer can't figure for the poor eyesight of the umpire crew! BTW, does the sight of Matt Holliday not crossing the plate (in spite of Michael Barrett not having the ball) create a new call for Video Replay in MLB?

Still, I'm enjoying this ride, even if the Phils sweep the Rocks.

Posted by: Brad S at October 2, 2007 9:25 AM

I don't give a fig for either team so I had a good time watching it. On what play was the lone error called? I counted a lot more than one.

Posted by: Bryan at October 2, 2007 10:43 AM

I'd like to take a moment to bad mouth Tony Gwynn, who was saying only a week ago that San Diego and Los Angeles Would make the postseason. HA!

Posted by: Brandon at October 2, 2007 11:07 AM

Mr. Padre has already been paid. By his own son. If that scene of Junior hitting a game-tying single off Trevor Hoffman wasn't perfect irony, I don't think perfect irony exists.

Posted by: Brad S at October 2, 2007 12:34 PM

"I am half-blind with no physique
That's why I am an umpire in the National League!"

(from Steve Allen's "Brooklyn Pinafore." A half-century old, and still accurate.)

Posted by: Bob Hawkins at October 2, 2007 12:59 PM

A Red Sox fan criticizing another team (an entire league, no less!) for awful defense! That's got to be the funniest thing I've read here in a long, long time.

Posted by: b at October 2, 2007 2:49 PM

Good Lord OJ, I'm with b, Manny fans should maintain a respectful silence about defensive lapses and flyballs being like handgrenades.

Abreu is just as bad...

Posted by: Benny at October 2, 2007 3:11 PM

Manny would have started in CF for the Padres yesterday.

Posted by: oj at October 2, 2007 4:18 PM
« IF YOU CAN'T SPLIT THEM, TARGET THEM: | Main | BUT HE'S NOT THE KING OF THE CATALANS: »