September 13, 2007

WHY WOULD THE GOP WANT TO APPEAL MILLIONS OF YOUNG AMERICANS?:

Hispanics are changing the face of U.S. politics (ANDRES OPPENHEIMER, 9/13/07, MiamiHerald.com)

he debate among Democratic hopefuls organized by UnivisiĆ³n and the University of Miami averaged 2.2 million viewers -- an extraordinary audience for a debate that was broadcast in Spanish for an ethnic group that makes up 13 percent of the U.S. population. By comparison, the CNN-YouTube Democratic debate averaged 2.6 million viewers.

What's more, while the average age of viewers of UnivisiĆ³n's debate was 36, the average age of the English-language debates on ABC, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC viewers was 61.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 13, 2007 11:13 AM
Comments

Well, according to the racist Right, er I mean the patriotic Tancredo Right, those young Hispanics are all just "anchor babies."

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at September 13, 2007 11:57 AM

How many of the audience will compound their criminality by trying to vote unlawfully?

Posted by: Jim Burke at September 13, 2007 12:57 PM

I don't know what the "racist" silliness contributes to the discussion. I understand that it gives the accuser a nice, haughty sense of self-righteousness, but other than that, it's not clear.

I'm amazed that the average age of the network debate viewers, including cable, was 61. Did the Herald only survey in Palm Beach, or is this for real?

I think that one reason for the much higher proportion of viewers on Univision is that it's the only game in town in many markets, and is by far the dominant one elsewhere. If you want Spanish-language programming, it's Univision. I'd bet pesos to sopapillas that their soap opera, variety and general news numbers are much the same compared to the same programming on English-language channels. If there are 100 optiosn for one group and 1 for another, the latter is going to have a much higher proportion of viewers.

Plus, Univision has the babes.

Posted by: Jorge Curioso at September 13, 2007 1:06 PM

The early jump by the candidates has not been matched by an early jump by the electorate. I would consider myself a political junkie, but have not cared to start my political watching this early. I just find it disgusting.

Starting in a few months when the real political season begins, those average age numbers will get younger.

Posted by: Chris Durnell at September 13, 2007 1:13 PM

Having "debates" at this point is mind-bogglingly stupid. But if you're going to do them, you absolutely should have Univision on your list.

Posted by: b at September 13, 2007 2:01 PM

Yes, and since they're anchors you're losing millions more too, no?

Posted by: oj at September 13, 2007 2:42 PM

I guess I'm the only one around here who perceives this as an unwanted consequence of de facto mexican only immigration. If we had let in the same number of immigrants (legal + illegal) but kept a reasonable mix of ethnicities, no one group would have this kind of power.

Heck, I think we need more immigrants than we have, but I question the wisdom of importing 50% of Mexico and almost no one else.

Seriously, wouldn't it be better all around if the mix were 25% Mexican/Central Am/South Am, 25% European (24% Poles), 25% Asian and 25% African?

Posted by: Benny at September 13, 2007 2:45 PM

When you define criminality as seeking a better life and voting your ideology has gone haywire.

Posted by: oj at September 13, 2007 2:46 PM

Nativism is racist. If you ban acknowledgement of that racism from the discussion then you're in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Posted by: oj at September 13, 2007 2:48 PM

Benny:

Yes, it would obviously be better to share common borders with everyone, so we got all of everyone's best, instead of just all the best Latinos, Haitians, Vietnamese, etc.

Posted by: oj at September 13, 2007 2:52 PM

Committing an unlawful act, no matter the motive (I'm sure Dillinger sought a better life)is criminality in my book. And my bales are tight.

Posted by: Jim Burke at September 13, 2007 3:20 PM

Oj: Obviously, we agree that immigrants are overwhelmingly the best of the culture they abandon. However, my point was that allowing pretty darn near only Mexicans into the country we place a significant amount of power into the hands of that group. That presents, to my mind, a risk that we don't need to and shouldn't take.

Posted by: Benny at September 13, 2007 3:32 PM

Yes, we clearly do ourselves a disservice by limiting mass immigration to those who can walk in or raft 90 miles.

But it was also a "mistake" to let groups like the Germans, Irish, Italians, Jews, etc. have political power in proportion to their vote. We survived quite nicely.

Posted by: oj at September 13, 2007 4:08 PM

We shot Dillinger. We amnesty the illegals. That's the difference between a just and an unjust law.

Posted by: oj at September 13, 2007 4:26 PM

No need to imply I want to deny or limit Mexican immigrants right to political representation, Oj.

In relative terms, how masive is the influx of mexicans in comparison to that of the Germans in the past? Even if you just use the current estimates which are clearly and massively deflated, I'd be interested to know.

Posted by: Benny at September 13, 2007 5:18 PM

Look at Boston. It's been electing Catholic mayors for awhile. They aren't Mayflower descendants.

Posted by: oj at September 13, 2007 7:24 PM

The Observation concerning the Importation of Germans in too great Numbers into Pennsylvania, is, I believe, a very just one. This will in a few Years become a German Colony: Instead of their Learning our Language, we must learn their's, or live as in a foreign Country. Already the English begin to quit particular Neighbourhoods surrounded by Dutch, being made uneasy by the Disagreeableness of disonant Manners; and in Time, Numbers will probably quit the Province for the same Reason. Besides, the Dutch under-live, and are thereby enabled to under-work and under-sell the English; who are thereby extreamly incommoded, and consequently disgusted, so that there can be no cordial Affection or Unity between the two Nations. How good Subjects they may make, and how faithful to the British Interest, is a Question worth considering. And in my Opinion, equal Numbers might have been spared from the British Islands without being miss'd there, and on proper Encouragement would have come over.

historycarper.com/resources/twobf2/letter12.htm

Posted by: Ben Franklin at September 13, 2007 7:39 PM

Questioning value > banning. Raising that straw man gave opportunity for more of the same.

Posted by: Jorge Curioso at September 13, 2007 7:55 PM

My wife was raised in Forwardstown PA, about 15 miles from the Flight 93 crash in Sipesville. Her family (like many in the region) is "Pennsylvania Dutch" (Deutsch). Great-grandma is still alive and speaks fluent German. The cooking with the Kielbasa sausage and sauerkraut is wunderbar.

Benny is right. Importing only one culture (I don't care which one) without diversity isn't healthy.

Posted by: Gideon at September 13, 2007 8:21 PM

Man.

Posted by: oj at September 13, 2007 10:27 PM

Jorge - Telemundo has the babes...

Posted by: Foos at September 15, 2007 8:23 PM