September 1, 2007

IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE MORE OVERRATED THAN THE BIG TEN?:

Appalachian State Stuns No. 5 Michigan (LARRY LAGE, 9/01/07, AP)

What was supposed to be a tuneup turned into a stunner: Appalachian State 34, No. 5 Michigan 32. Julian Rauch's 24-yard field goal with 26 seconds left Saturday put the Mountaineers ahead of the Wolverines and Corey Lynch blocked a field goal in the final seconds to seal one of college football's biggest upsets.

"We're still sort of shocked," coach Jerry Moore said after being carried off the field by his players.

The two-time defending champions from former Division I-AA were ahead of the nation's winningest program 28-14 late in the second quarter, then their storybook afternoon seemed to unravel late in the fourth quarter.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 1, 2007 6:50 PM
Comments

Oh the carnige, Oh the trauma, oh the humanity, oh the shame!

Posted by: Dave W at September 1, 2007 7:23 PM

Well, you could be Notre Dame.

I'm not sure what they were ranked coming in, and I know it wasn't top 25, but still . . . that was a might shellacking they took.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at September 1, 2007 8:13 PM

As someone who had student tickets to Ohio State football for eight seasons, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I have to gloat. On the other, I don't want Michigan to fire Lloyd Carr.

For this week, I'll gloat.

Posted by: Bob Hawkins at September 1, 2007 8:32 PM

Bob, I totally agree with you...I have mixed feelings as well. But my question to you is...what were you doing with student tickets for 8 seasons? Even a doctoral candidate would probably be getting staff tickets.

Posted by: suzie at September 2, 2007 2:48 PM

Suzie and Maggie:

I preferred the student standing-room-only tickets. "Standing room" really meant sitting on the steps in the upper deck. They filled the steps starting from the end zone at the open end. If I timed it right, I got a step between the 40s.

The staff tickets were likely to stick you behind the visiting marching band. All you saw was tubas.

Posted by: Bob Hawkins at September 2, 2007 3:52 PM

Frankly, the entire Midwest is suffering from a down cycle right now. They need an infusion of Southern and West Coast athletes to replace the traditional Chicago-Western Pa.-Ohio recruiting base. The Florida-Ohio State game was probably the death knell for traditional Midwestern football.

Posted by: AC at September 2, 2007 7:09 PM

OJ:

No, it just isn't possible.

(Incidentally, when Michigan won a share of the title in 1997 all the talking heads said they'd played a killer schedule. They played 6 teams that went to bowl games. One of the teams lost their bowl game by 10 when they scored a late TD against scrubs. All the other teams lost their bowls by 15 points or more.)

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 2, 2007 8:08 PM
« LONG IS ONLY LIKELY TO MEAN THE EARLY 2010s (via Qiao Yang): | Main | I DIDN'T CATCH THAT: »