September 6, 2007

FUNNY THING IS...:

Sarkozy On the Offensive (David Ignatius, September 6, 2007, Washington Post)

Sarkozy may be the most interesting political personality on the world stage today. American presidential candidates talk about turning a page in the nation's life, but Sarkozy has actually been doing it in his first four months in the Elysee Palace. He has co-opted his Socialist rivals, crushed opponents within his own party and defied expectations about what a French president should and shouldn't do.

...while Sarko wants to save France by making it more like America, the Democratic presidential candidates want to ape France's failure.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 6, 2007 10:36 AM
Comments

While visiting the folks over the past holiday weekend I read the Detroit Free Press. I was struck most not by the reflexive liberalism (that was a given) but by how old its ideas felt - not venerable old, but obsolete old. Reading its positions and policy prescriptions was like time-travelling to the 1970's (and I know now those ideas were old then). They aren't progressive or regressive (that would imply movement) they are static. Total denial.

Posted by: Mikey [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 6, 2007 12:20 PM

... while Sarko wants to save France by making it more like America, the Democratic presidential candidates want to ape France's failure.

That analysis is scathingly retarded. There is such a gap between France and the U.S. in terms of their social and domestic expenditures, that there is really no point in comparing them or suggesting their policies are to become more alike. Both nations are merely tweaking their existing laws, spending, and policies. There are no proposals to make either nation more like the other.

In particular, I haven't heard any Democratic candidate claim to want to make the U.S. as socialistic as France. Maybe you're referring to national health care, which both Republican and Democrats cite as a growing issue to be addressed in the US. I work in Massachusetts, you'd do well to remember that Mitt Romney instituted a government-mandated health-care program in this state.

But yeah, France is a real hell-hole compared to the U.S. We couldn't possibly learn anything from them.

They just live longer, have lower infant mortality, use less fossil fuels, have less national debt, a better education system, less obesity, lower prevalancy of AIDS, and higher literacy rates.

Sure, unemployment is a problem in France at just under 9%. But quality of life surely isn't.

Posted by: W. Shedd at September 6, 2007 3:28 PM

Hi there, Shedd-head.

Retarded, educate thyself. For instance: why does France use way less fossil fuel?

(Hint: you won't like the real answer. It's the N-word!)

Posted by: ghostcat at September 6, 2007 4:18 PM

Ethnic homogeneity limits social pathologies. As they lose theirs the numbers will reverse.

Their national debt is, of course, higher than ours--at about 70% of GDP. But that's not significant. Ours is far too low to support the world economy and will need to rise. Theirs is too high for a dying society whose debt no one wants.

Posted by: oj at September 6, 2007 4:38 PM

I love that "infant mortality" statistic that's always trotted out by the friends of statism and socialism.

Did you know that Cuba has a lower "infant mortality" rate? You know why? Because the definition of "infant mortality" is how many babies die after attempting to save them.

Any guesses on which country tries to save more babies at an earlier state of pregnancy?

Posted by: Randall Voth at September 6, 2007 4:50 PM

Having lived a third of my life on continental Europe, I just have to shake my head when I see comments like Shedd's. Try living in a banleau for a year like a middle class frenchman would. Then you'll understand what an amazing quality of life people have in the U.S.
The bottom line is that in the U.S. I go to bed everynight knowing that I can better life for my family, in Europe it was the opposite.

Posted by: lebeaux at September 6, 2007 5:11 PM
« SAY GOODNIGHT, BORIS: | Main | THEY'D BE MORE ZIONIST IF THEY WERE MORE JEWISH: »