September 16, 2007

BOXER REVOLUTION:

Sex revolution robbed us of fertility (Angela Shanahan, September 15, 2007, The Australian)

[S]tudies done in the late 1990s in Scandinavia, where almost 60per cent of births are ex-nuptial, discovered a much stronger connection between the attitude of the man in a cohabiting relationship, as to whether a formal marriage eventuated, than the attitude of the woman.

Cohabiting men were found to be far more hesitant than women to formalise the relationship. Furthermore, this pattern holds true even in relationships that have already produced children.

Among the childless, men seem to fear that marriage will push them into more of a provider role. They harbour strong doubts about the ultimate value of a relationship -- whether it will be lifelong -- and are less likely than women to yield to normative pressure from parents. What exactly was the word the Pope used: selfish?

This is much more a picture of reluctant youthful grooms being dragged to the altar than of reluctant New Age feminist brides not wanting to be tied down with an uneven share of the household chores and child care, which is what feminist academics claim is the motivator for the new non-marriage relationship.

In fact, it emphasises how little our sexual expectations have changed -- because women still want stability, marriage and children -- but, at the same time, how badly the new sexual norms are treating women.

Who now quotes with approval the original shallow feminist rhetoric, when women thought that armed with the pill they would hold all the cards, that they would not be tied down and would be free to act just like men? The experiences of women such as the one who sent me that letter belie all that propaganda.

Instead, many women are fooled into a series of unfulfilling relationships, becoming empty vessels for sex. Says my correspondent of these relationships: "I thought I was offering myself for marriage." Instead, having given away their most precious asset, their fertility, many women have played right into the hands of men.

The contraceptive pill was the greatest gift ever invented for men, by men. More than 30 years ago it looked like a lovely package of sexual freedom.

But for so many women experiencing a series of partners from their 20s into their 30s and then staring into the infertile 40s, it was like opening a series of empty boxes one inside the other. And there was nothing at the end except an empty box.

The hand that rocks the empty box rules nothing.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 16, 2007 3:08 PM
Comments

Western human females are as fertile as they have ever been - maybe more so as nutrition and general public health is better. It isn't that they are infertile, it is just that they choose not to have children.

Fertility is such a bad word to describe this - fertility describes a physical condition, not the result.

Posted by: Mikey [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 16, 2007 6:38 PM

Second comment: Women have just realized how empty the life of a rake actually is? They have just figured out that there is more to life than what is between their legs? That a man will not buy a cow if the milk is free?

No, really? How much was spent on a government grant for that, and how much can I get to prove that homo sapiens cannot exist if immersed in dihydrogen monoxide?

Posted by: Mikey [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 16, 2007 6:45 PM

The rise of no fault divorce, and easier divorce, is a big part of this, I think. Also, the one sided choice of the current abortion rules. And the return of debtor's prison with the family courts and child support. I guess I am not man enough to be ruled by the meat. I would not be able to stand and applaud while my child was ripped from the womb and her head smashed on the floor. It pains my soul just to think of rotting in jail, until my parents spend their retirement fund on paying my debt. If I don't want to be hostage to the people who care for me, or party to murder, the safe choice is not to play. It was an easy choice for me, and it looks like I'm not alone in making it.....

Posted by: Robert Mitchell Jr. at September 16, 2007 7:20 PM

Duh-man™ strikes again!

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 16, 2007 7:47 PM

"how badly new sexual norms are treating women...women are fooled..."

Once again, women playing the blame game. Unless someone was forcing them to swallow that pill, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I'm still waiting for the first Ms. Beethoven, now that women have been freed from the slavery of childrearing...

Posted by: Randall Voth at September 16, 2007 11:24 PM

So let's review what women got out of the "Sexual Revolution": society tells them that it's A-OK for them to sleep with men without forcing them to commit to marriage (boy, what a loss for the men of the world!), and also they get to kill their babies! Women sure did snooker the men of the world on that deal!

Posted by: b at September 17, 2007 12:02 PM

Randall:

No-one to blame but themselves perhaps, but not no-one to blame but herself. Civilization is a conspiracy of women against men; once it's broken apart, you can't put it back single-handed.

Posted by: Mike Earl at September 17, 2007 1:56 PM
« MORE LIKE THE REAL L RON HUBBARD: | Main | EXACTLY HOW MANY CRAZY PILLS HAS HE EATEN?: »