September 20, 2007

AND MITCH GOT TO DRIVE THE BUS:

Democrats Throw Their Base Under the Bus; Cave to Wing-Nuts on MoveOn Resolution (Joshua Holland, AlterNet)

On the eve of the Petraeus hearings, I wrote that if the Democrats didn't call out the general on his partisan, politically motivated spin of the events unfolding in Iraq, they would prove their irrelevance on the issue of the ongoing occupation once and for all.

In the end, it was much worse than that. Today, Senate Democrats took the time to join their Republican colleagues in condemning an ad produced by MoveOn.org that -- accurately -- pointed out Petraeus' previous spin about progress in Iraq and warned that the general would "Betray Us." The resolution passed by a vote of 72-25. [...]

The fact that 25 Democratic Senators voted for the resolution is an indication of how deeply disconnected they are from the values that most Americans share. After all, polls taken after General Petraeus' testimony revealed that his show had barely changed public opinion on Iraq. Before he testified, a majority expected him to paint a rosier picture than reality -- to lie before Congress about the effectiveness of the surge, just as the MoveOn ad accused him of doing.

Tactically, rolling over on this one was profoundly stupid. In condemning MoveOn, Senate democrats effectively condemned themselves -- Democrats and MoveOn will be tied together by Republicans at every opportunity. MoveOn rolled out a new ad attacking Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, and the McConnell campaign responded by saying, "MoveOn.org is an extremist organization that advocated pacifism in response to 9/11, ran ads on its website equating George W. Bush to Hitler, and most recently called our commander on the ground in Iraq, General David Petraeus, a traitor in a newspaper advertisement ... That ad and this group's actions were condemned today in a bipartisan 72-25 vote in the U.S. Senate."

Democrats just helped the Right marginalize the largest progressive grassroots organization in America.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 20, 2007 4:12 PM
Comments

And what does any self-respecting "progresive grassroots organization" do when that happens? Yell louder and be even more obnoxious and repugnant. Yet the Stupid Party is determined to appease these clowns.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 20, 2007 6:37 PM

I think most Americans (ie. 90+%) don't care about Moveon.org. And when I say "don't care", I mean they wouldn't miss it if it disappeared.

I would miss ice cream if it disappeared, so I'll categorize myself as "I care" about ice cream.

Posted by: KRS at September 20, 2007 6:47 PM

Does this clown realize that if the moveon.org ad DID represent "the values most Americans share", a majority of Democratic Senators WOULDN'T have voted for this resolution? Some people never learn.

Posted by: John Barrett Jr. at September 20, 2007 7:25 PM

When I can be bothered to think of MoveOn.org at all, and when I can be bothered to think of them with anything but withering scorn, I recall that they began their existence in 1998 asking us all to "move on" from the story of a certain trivial cigar and some little innocent white lies that some evil right wing conspirators with a scary hidden agenda claim were told about it by a certain public official of no particular importance (except that He Kept Abortion Legal). That reflection usually induces blinding rage accompanied by the urge to vomit, but occasionally prompts me to laugh my head off at these cowardly poltroons who profess to be offended by politicians lying.

Posted by: Random Lawyer at September 20, 2007 9:30 PM

Random Lawyer: Don't forget that the stated goal of MoveOn was to "move on" from wasting time on the supposedly trivial charges against Clinton to the really important work of the country. But for MoveOn, this meant targeting those in Congress responsible for the impeachment. The immediate switch from "Let's move on" to "Revenge!" seemed rather telling to me.

Posted by: PapayaSF at September 21, 2007 1:18 AM

I'm reminded of the nativist wing of the Republican and their reaction to immigration reform. There's the same belief that the lunatics have the right to run the asylum.

Posted by: Joseph Hertzlinger at September 21, 2007 1:43 AM

The wide-out left still persists in thinking the Congressional Democrats are interested in ending US military action in Iraq.

Their object is to obtain something, anything, official that they can claim is a *Bush withdrawal* from Iraq.

Even if it meant a significant (tens of thousands) force would remain active in Iraq indefinitely.

Posted by: Chris B at September 21, 2007 7:56 AM