August 5, 2007

WHAT ARE THE ODDS A FAT 'ROID-LESS OLD MAN IS EVEN PITCHING IN SEPTEMBER?:

Clemens hasn't paid off (Mike Lupica, August 5th 2007, NY Daily News)

Roger Clemens has started the same number of games and made the same number of appearances this season as Kei Igawa. To this point Clemens has one more victory than Igawa to show for all that. Look on the bright side, though. At least the Yankees haven't had to farm The Rocket back out yet.

There has been nothing remarkable about Clemens except his salary. He is 3-5 and should be 3-6, because when you put your team in an 8-0 hole the way he did on Thursday afternoon and your team ends up losing the game, you're the losing pitcher. The Yankees better make the playoffs and Clemens better pitch better the rest of the way, or you know what he is? He is more wasted pitching money. The way Igawa is. The way Carl Pavano was.

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 5, 2007 10:08 AM
Comments

I'm neither a Yanks fan nor a Red Sox fan; however, I always thought the Clemens deals for the past several years were bad deals. He just wasn't worth it and you could get a lot more with the money.

Speaking of roids, I read that the S.D. pitcher that gave up Bonds' hr last night was suspended for violating the minor league steriod policy last year. Isn't that hilarious? I have to say, I really don't get too hot headed about Bonds and roids. If those idiots want to use it, fine. I think it is impressive Bonds hit that many hr's.

Posted by: pchuck at August 5, 2007 1:22 PM

If Bonds wasn't such a jerk, the roids issue would be minor in most fan's eyes. As for Clemons being fat, I only wish I was in that kind of shape. More like a cucumber instead of a pear in other words.

Posted by: Patrick H at August 5, 2007 1:56 PM

The Yankees suck posts are tiresome but I will say that Clemens' ERA is equal to Schilling's and 1/2 run better than Wakefield's. Lester has one over 5. Yet, those guys are Gods and Clemens stinks. Go figure.

Posted by: Bob at August 5, 2007 2:50 PM

What Bob said. I'll point out as well that Lupica is a tiresome hack. It's unbelievable that the guys still has a job. Citing an article of his is scraping the bottom of the barrel, but problably an expression of deep fear at Yankee dominance among Sawx fans.

As Dave Pinto pointed out at the All-Star break, all the Yanks need to do is pick up a game a week on the Sawx, which they did this past week, despite the fact that the Sawx finally are playing decent ball. Sawx go 4-2 but the Yanks go 5-1, no wonder the Nation is in panic mode.

With the exception of 2 starts, Clemens has actually pitched quite well for the Yanks, but suffered re wins/losses b/c the team has not scored with him on the mound.

Again, as Bob's era stats illustrate, Clemens is better than at least 3 of the Sawx starters.

Indeed, the real reason the Yanks signed him was to keep him away from the Sawx, a team whose bullpen strength has hidden the fact that their starting rotation goes two deep. Which of course is why, by the time the Yanks finish their head-to-heads w/ the Sawx in early September, the Sawx will be in the rear-view mirror.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at August 5, 2007 11:40 PM

My math is notoriously bad, but in the last ten the Sox are 7-3 & the Yanks 6-4. I believe that means NY catches up after the Rapture.

Quite right, Lupie is the archetypal Yankee fan.

Posted by: oj at August 6, 2007 6:56 AM

Lupica likes the sound of his own voice. ESPN's "The Sports Reporters" ruined him.

Posted by: Bartman at August 6, 2007 7:13 AM

Even the bad-math Orrin can figure out the wild card standings. The Yanks are a half-game out, and the team leading the race, Detroit, has lost altitude faster than John McCain. Not to mention that New York has the best run diff in baseball.

New York catches Boston in the postseason, where anything can happen.

Posted by: Casey Abell at August 6, 2007 8:24 AM

Not with bad pitching.

Posted by: oj at August 6, 2007 10:46 AM

The Yankees pitching is league-average, which is all it needs to be with that offense. They didn't get that run diff with bad pitching.

The Yankees are leading Toronto right now. If they hold onto the lead, they're tied for the wild card.

Posted by: Casey Abell at August 6, 2007 2:46 PM

Rivera just put the final touch on a wild card tie with Detroit. Depressing.

Posted by: Casey Abell at August 6, 2007 3:31 PM

Yes, you don't need a good pitching staff until the playoffs, where the Indians, Twins, Tigers, and Angels can all handle them rather easily.

Posted by: oj at August 6, 2007 3:34 PM

Sigh....the Sawx gotta take a swoon soon or I'll have to buy an XXL-cranium Boston lid when I pick up my new Huskers hat for football season. To think I'm this depressed at the prospect of purchasing an item of red sports apparel...

Posted by: Matt Murphy at August 6, 2007 7:38 PM

I could go for a Husker hat!

Posted by: oj at August 6, 2007 9:54 PM

OJ:

Deal, but if by some miracle I still win this thing don't you dare send me a Red Sox hat. ;-)

Posted by: Matt Murphy at August 7, 2007 12:38 AM

Dartmouth hat?

Posted by: oj at August 7, 2007 7:15 AM

OJ:

Oooh yes, I'll take one of those. I'll feel 10 IQ points smarter just wearing it.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at August 7, 2007 2:18 PM
« NOTE THAT THE DEMOCRATS ALSO DIDN'T REFORM IMMIGRATION: | Main | PINKY & THE GENERAL: »