August 25, 2007

PROHIBITION ROLLS ON:

New law ups stakes for 1st DUI: Breath test required before starting car (Monique Garcia, August 24, 2007, Chicago Tribune)

First time drunken-driving offenders now will have to pass a breath test every time they get behind the wheel, under legislation signed into law Friday.

The measure, among the strictest in the nation, would require an estimated 30,000 first-time offenders whose licenses have been suspended to blow into devices that measure blood-alcohol content. If alcohol is detected, the car will not start.

They'll be mandatory on all cars within five years.

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 25, 2007 8:35 AM
Comments

I would wager that the piggies would never suffer such devices on their own cars, just as they have rejected so called "smart-gun" technology on their own weapons.

Posted by: Lou Gots at August 25, 2007 9:19 AM

It'll be mandatory only you're foolish enough to buy a new car.

Posted by: Pete at August 25, 2007 11:33 AM

If it's limited to convicted drunks, it's okay with me. If not, we'll get a new car the year before it goes into effect and BYW, I'm not in the least bit interested in being humane to drunken drivers.

Posted by: erp at August 25, 2007 1:04 PM

No one's scared of guns. Everyone's scared of drunks.

Posted by: oj at August 25, 2007 1:04 PM

how big will the "canned breath" market be?

Posted by: anon in tx at August 25, 2007 2:12 PM

Huge, because drunks are idiots. Canned breath won't do anything.

Posted by: oj at August 25, 2007 2:50 PM

Some of us are old enough to remember when "true lovers of freedom" used to cut out the seatbelts in their cars and intentionally blow out the catalytic converter and what not. They grew up.

Posted by: oj at August 25, 2007 2:52 PM

Meanwhile, thanks to my being the DD amidst the accompanying scent of alcohol and a bad tail light, I got pulled over about a week ago in Sarpy County.

I told the two friendly officers that I'd stopped my rather moderate drinking three hours earlier so I could ferry friends to and from a bar, and then they gave me a sobriety test. I blipped that one thanks to my stellar sense of uncoordination, so they decided to give me a Breathalyzer, and we waited interminably for a cop to bring the tubes from another DUI pullover down the road. I hardly even registered a reading.

I'll say this for the Car Breathalyzer proposal: It can establish my innocence a lot more quickly.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at August 25, 2007 7:16 PM

"Mandatory on all cars within five years"? No way Jose, not even with President Hillary and a veto-proof Democrat Senate, and I'm willing to bet on it.

Posted by: PapayaSF at August 26, 2007 1:43 AM