July 17, 2007

NOT SMUG, GENUINELY SUPERIOR:

Hanover Feeling Tops at No.2: It Outranks All but One on Money's List of Liveable Towns (David Corriveau, 7/17/07, Valley News)

For now, Hanover remains one of the smaller communities in Money's top 100, made up this year of towns of between 7,500 and 50,000. At about 8,500, it ranks last in population among the 12 New England towns on the list, including Salem, N.H. (No. 85) at 30,000.

And what Hanover lacks -- so far -- in population, it makes up with its status as the home of Dartmouth College, and as the neighbor and birthplace of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

Along with providing jobs, up-to-date health care and cultural opportunities, those institutions, and a growing high-tech industry, help the town maintain a nonwhite population of about 20 percent with some 25 nationalities represented, according to the Money survey. [...]

Money's reasons to move here also include the easy proximity to the White Mountains and the Green Mountains, and the quality of the school system -- reading and math scores 26 percent above the state average, both better than the overall best-places average.

Time to start on that wall...

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 17, 2007 1:05 PM
Comments

Politically, Hanover's closer to Vermont than New Hampshire.

Posted by: Bryan at July 17, 2007 1:32 PM

I live in #18. Close enough. Much closer to the ocean that counts.

Posted by: ghostcat at July 17, 2007 3:58 PM

I dunno, when I think of livable places, I tend to, call me crazy, take real estate prices and property taxes into account.

Too many of those 100 "great" places to live had house prices well over 1/2 mil and property taxes over 500/mo.

Doesn't sound too livable to me.

Their list of 25 towns with reasonably prices homes was more appropriate.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at July 17, 2007 5:59 PM

We have high property taxes but no income or sales taxes.

Posted by: oj at July 17, 2007 7:22 PM

We have no sales tax and pay no state income tax, as my primary pension is 84% tax-exempt here. Our property taxes are probably 25% lower than NH for comparable houses.

Plus, it's just 75 miles to the Oregon coast. And the climate is, er, cool. But it is grey and wet from November through May.

Nuthin's perfect.

Posted by: ghostcat at July 17, 2007 7:50 PM

There's no point if you don't have a winter. Promotes moral lassitude.

Posted by: oj at July 17, 2007 10:20 PM

oj,
Still don't even see your State on this list, let alone any metro area or county.
BTW, my home is #9, totally undeserved due to our proximity to the left wing Capitol, Sacramento,CA.
Winter rain, summer hot, snow is not a moral!
Mike

Posted by: Mike at July 17, 2007 11:19 PM

Re: winter. I used to agree when I still had some hair on top for insulation. Nowadays, it's enough to see the Cascades and Coast Range covered with snow. Which I can easily do from numerous points along my daily routine ... cloud cover permitting. Heck, I can see Mt. Hood from the driveway.

Posted by: ghostcat at July 18, 2007 12:40 AM
« AND IT PRACTICALLY BEGS TO BE THE TITLE OF A PUNK ROCK TUNE: | Main | THIRD RATE ROMANCE: »