July 27, 2007

DON'T LIKE THE RULES? DON'T TAKE THE STATE'S LUCRE (via Glenn Dryfoos):

Burke has residence far removed from her constituency: The L.A. County supervisor is living in Brentwood despite laws requiring that she reside in her South L.A. district. She has a townhouse nearer her constituents, but acknowledges she spends little time (Jack Leonard and Matt Lait, July 27, 2007, LA Times)

Los Angeles County Supervisor Yvonne B. Burke, who was elected to represent some of the county's poorest neighborhoods, is living in a gated Brentwood home, despite laws requiring her to reside in the predominantly South Los Angeles district she serves.

In an interview with The Times two weeks ago, Burke said it was only on weekends and special occasions that she used her Brentwood home — a 4,000-square-foot residence with a swimming pool and tennis court that she and her husband have long owned. She said she lived at a 1,200-square-foot townhouse in Mar Vista, on a busy street just inside the border of her district.

But over a three-week period in which she was observed by Times reporters, Burke spent every weekday evening at her Brentwood house, in the district of Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky. When confronted by reporters Wednesday, Burke changed her story and acknowledged that she has rarely slept in the Mar Vista townhouse, which she has declared as her primary residence since she purchased it more than a year ago.

The Father Judd was one of those liberal Northern pastors of the 60s, so, wanting a church in a city with a mixed population, he ended up in East Orange, NJ. While it had reached about 60% black/40% white, the demographics had more or less stabilized and there seemed a possibility of maintaining a genuinely integrated community. Then, for some demented reason, after the Newark riots the city lifted the residency requirement for its employees. The overwhelmingly white police force and fire department were out of town by sundown and the slide into serious ghettohood took off. By the time the Mother Judd was able to move us to West Orange the public school we attended was over 90% black.

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 27, 2007 8:49 AM
Comments

One must be stupid or crazy to live in the Hobbseian state of nature, it that could be avoided. Who would be represented in Council by one who were stupid or crazy?

Only my attachments to the city of my childhood and my gun club activities keep me in Philadelphia. I know it is only a matter of time until I shall be forced to act in self-defense, for I have seen the furtive looks and mutterings that go with a decision whether to strong-arm that old white guy.

Some day, when my beard is a little whiter and my gait a little less sure, I shll hear the demand to stand and deliver. Then my fate will be left to Dieu et mon Droit,, and what is in my right hand, and that is not how I want to live. I hope that before then I shall have had the good sense to follow my many relatives and friends who have already trekked forth, away from the savagery.

Posted by: Lou Gots at July 27, 2007 9:31 AM

While I hope it is never required, may your hand remain steady and your aim true. I would hate to lose what I believe is the treasure of BJ's blog.

Posted by: Rick T. at July 27, 2007 10:28 AM

I think Mr. Gots should be angling for a new address - say, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

Posted by: Bryan at July 27, 2007 10:59 AM

I pass East Orange on the train to the city every day. It's not looking pretty.

Posted by: Matt Cohen at July 27, 2007 12:27 PM

I would be surprised if Sharpe James actually lived within the city limits when he was mayor.

Posted by: ratbert at July 27, 2007 12:44 PM

Wally, the crusty little old guy who owned the local newstand/lunch counter/candy store used to be a favorite foil of the Other Brother, who would come up to the cash register with two pieces of Bazooka gum and insist on a bag to carry it in, even though that lowered the profit margin to 0 cents. At one point, Wally even picked him up and stuffed him in the garbage can in front of the store.

But he also hired the little bugger to sweep out the store and would save us copies of newspapers that mentioned our grandfather's cases.

He was gunned down one night on his way to his car for what would have had to have been a rather minimal take from his store.

Posted by: oj at July 27, 2007 12:48 PM

Do you really believe that municipal employees (other than elected officials who must reside in the district that they represent) should not be able to reside where they wish?

Posted by: ger at July 27, 2007 1:48 PM

No they should be allowed to reside whereever they want. They just don't have the right to the municipal job if they won't live in the municipality. It's our money.

Posted by: oj at July 27, 2007 2:45 PM

I took the family to see it last summer, when we had to go to the Sister Judd's 40th birthday. The Wife swore to never question another story about our childhood if I'd just step on the gas before we got capped. What's left of Upsala College looks like downtown Mogadishu.

Posted by: oj at July 27, 2007 2:48 PM

Years ago before it was gentrified, my husband took our young kids to see the cold water railroad flat in Williamsburg, the one in Brooklyn, not Virginia, where he lived as a kid. They couldn't get over it and asked, why did you want to live here?

Posted by: erp at July 27, 2007 4:15 PM
« THE ANGLOSPHERE FINDS ITS OWN LEVEL: | Main | YOU COULD HARDLY ASK FOR A BETTER ILLUSTRATION THAT HE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE REVOLUTION THE LEFT INSISTS HE LEAD: »