July 28, 2007

AND YET THE RUGRATS SHRIEK WHEN YOU REFILL THEIR BOTTLES FROM THE TAP:

It's aqua, but is it fina? Pepsi's bottled water same as tap (VINNEE TONG, 7/28/07, The Associated Press)

So you thought that water in your Aquafina bottle came from some far-away spring bubbling deep in a glen?

Try the same place as the water in your tap.

PepsiCo is the latest company to offer some clarity about the source of its top-selling bottled water as it announced on Friday it would change the label on Aquafina water bottles to spell out that the drink comes from the same source as tap water.

The notion that water from some fetid stream is better than tap water is just paganism anyway. Most of what people perceive as advances in modern medicine is really just a result of water treatment and washing in it more often.

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 28, 2007 8:35 AM
Comments

OJ,

I live in Chicago, and there is no convincing folks that we've got some of the best municipal water in the country. There's some perverse aspect of human nature that wants to believe the worst. It's also the reason so many campers get giardia: that stream is so pure! Never mind the moose that just took a crap in the water a mile upstream.

Posted by: Dreadnought at July 28, 2007 10:32 AM

Ya gotta get the kind that comes from springs deep in solid rock.

Posted by: erp at July 28, 2007 11:39 AM

20 years ago I acquired giardia from a stream near Yosemite while camping at 9,500 feet of altitude. The only time I've felt more ill was from sea sickness. I'll take the tap water any day.

Posted by: Patrick H at July 28, 2007 12:00 PM

I like Aquafina and I've never given much thought to where it comes from. I drink it because it tastes significantly better than tap water.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at July 28, 2007 2:07 PM

...And remember, Evian spelled backward is naive!

Posted by: Rick T. at July 28, 2007 3:53 PM

Tap water tastes better than tap water?

Posted by: oj at July 28, 2007 5:05 PM

There is no Poland (springs, that is).

Posted by: erp at July 28, 2007 5:23 PM

"Tap water tastes better than tap water?"

When your tap water comes from brackish wells, is treated, and is then pumped 25 miles through a 20 year old iron pipe, then yes. Nobody drinks the tap water out here. Even the poorest buy their water in bulk from Walmart.

Posted by: Pete at July 28, 2007 7:30 PM

Who's filling the jugs from a sink out back.

Posted by: oj at July 28, 2007 8:42 PM

"Who's filling the jugs from a sink out back."

oj,

I agree generally that bottled water is no better than tap, but not out here in the high desert. Our Aquafina, and it's bottled cousins, come from LA County and Vegas. Our water here in the Indian Wells valley is excreable.

Posted by: Pete at July 28, 2007 11:35 PM

OJ:

They use some mechanism to "purify" it, although I have my doubts about whether there's any health benefit. It does taste better than straight-up tap water, trust me.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at July 29, 2007 2:16 PM

Pete:

Until recently, my brother lived in a coal-mining region of Ohio. He generally got fresh water from the stores because you had to run the local water through a water purifier seven times before it was considered safe to drink.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at July 29, 2007 2:19 PM

I used to sniff at people that wasted money on bottled water - until I drank tap water in Chicago. Horrible stuff. Where I live now, in the high desert of Utah, the quality of tap water varies widely between towns. Those along the base of the mountains have excellent water - mostly from springs, while in some of the towns that have to rely on well water you don't even want to drink fountain drinks.

Posted by: jason johnson at July 29, 2007 11:55 PM