July 21, 2007

...AND CLOSER...:

Mariners inch closer to Angels: Batista escapes early trouble; Seattle one game out in AL West (JOHN HICKEY, 7/21/07, SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER)

Kenji Johjima held his right thumb and right index finger about half an inch apart.

"This is how close we came," Johjima said.

The words he didn't have to use at the end of that sentence were "to losing." That's because Gregg Zaun's bases-loaded ground ball down the first base line didn't go for a three-run double.

By the margin Johjima indicated, or even less, the ball was foul. Moments later, Zaun grounded into a double play. One run scored, but Seattle starter Miguel Batista got two badly needed outs.

A three-run double versus a double play. It was a lopsided trade for Batista, who went on to become the Mariners' first 10-game winner of the year as Seattle beat the Blue Jays 4-2.

And, although he didn't know it at the time, Johjima's approximation could stand for the Mariners' position in the American League West race. With the Angels losing to the Twins on Friday, the Mariners come into Saturday one game out of first place in the division.

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 21, 2007 9:22 AM
Comments

It's strange. I'm not an AL fan at all but I'm starting to root for these guys from Seattle.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that if you watch ESPN regularly you would think there are only four AL teams (Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, and Angels). I can't remember a time this season when at least one of those teams were the televised AL game.

Posted by: Bartman at July 21, 2007 9:50 PM

Should be, were not in the televised game...

Posted by: Bartman at July 21, 2007 9:52 PM

THe idea of Seattle vs. Cleveland vs. Minnesota vs. Detroit for two or three playoff spots at the end of September must be giving the ESPN programmers nightmares. (And let's not forget not having the Damnyankees in the mix at all...)

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at July 21, 2007 10:51 PM

ESPN should have nightmares, I can't stand the Boo-yah smarmy worldwide leader in sports.

Posted by: pchuck at July 21, 2007 11:05 PM

I'm glad I have MLB Extra Innings. I haven't had to watch an ESPN televised baseball game in quite a while. Every time I try to give them another chance it is the same ol', same ol'. Self-promotion, as pchuck so aptly put it, Boo-yah attitude, hip-hop crap.

...and don't get me started on Stuart Scott...

Posted by: Bartman at July 22, 2007 8:06 AM

Bartman: I don't have MLB extra inning; however, I wish I did. Tonight's game on ESPN is the Braves v. Cardinals. For heaven's sake, it ain't like we don't see the Braves ever on the tube. Please!

Posted by: pchuck at July 22, 2007 6:07 PM

Braves, Cards, Mets, and Cubs...the only 4 NL teams (Giants are only catching a break b/c of Bonds).

Posted by: Bartman at July 23, 2007 1:18 PM

Bartman: if you don't care for Stuart Scott (as well a Stephen A. Smith), you have to go to YouTube and go to this link:

They are the Stephen A. Smith Heckling Society of Gentleman and they were present at the 2007 NBA Draft. Absolute hilarity. The Stuart Scott stuff is bonus stuff at the end.

Posted by: pchuck at July 23, 2007 7:41 PM