May 16, 2007


J'lem Mayor: Hamas may take over city (THE JERUSALEM POST, 5/13/07)

"Jerusalem could, God forbid, end up not under Jewish sovereignty, but rather that of Hamas," Lupolianski said at the meeting, held at the Menachem Begin Heritage Center overlooking the Old City walls in honor of the 40th anniversary of the unification of the capital.

Hamas, Lupolianski said, "knows that it is possible to capture Jerusalem through demography within 12 years. We need a plan, and not crumbs, so that Jerusalem will remain Israel's capital forever."

A recent study carried out by Hebrew University demographer Prof. Sergio Della Pergola predicted that if the situation - and Jerusalem's borders - remained unchanged, only 60% of Jerusalem's residents would be Jews by 2020, with the remaining 40% Arab, while another survey predicted that the number of Jews and Arabs living in the city would reach parity within a quarter century.

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 16, 2007 12:35 PM

Jerusalem was settled not once, but twice, other than by majority vote. It will be held the same way, or it will be lost.

Posted by: Lou Gots at May 16, 2007 1:30 PM

Not lost, leant.

Posted by: oj at May 16, 2007 7:05 PM

There's a plan: turn the place over to the other firm and hope, hope, hope that they are going to turn out to be fine chaps after all. After all, they are only misunderstood. If we give ourselves up to them, that will be all they need to start acting like the "Religion of Peace."

I wouldn't do it with my country, and I wouldn't expect the Israelis to do it with theirs. Much better to manage the confusion of the enemy until they realize that it is time to pack it in. The plan is to play them until they get tired of losing, have them reach out for restructuring as a means to power, and watch their old, rotten would tumble into the dustbin.

The Polyanna-ish fool's hope that surrender will make them mellow out is based on a lack of nerve to see matters through should they prove too sick for reformation.

Posted by: Lou Gots at May 17, 2007 10:37 AM

You have a country. They only have a nation.

Posted by: oj at May 17, 2007 1:43 PM

They don't even have a nation, not with Hamas and Fatah killing each other at a rate of 20-40 a week.

Funny that the Saudis aren't pushing any diplomatic initiatives this week, what with the fighting on the increase.

Unfortunately for the "culture of death", probably the best answer is to let them go all the way to the bottom. Nobody is going to put troops between Hamas and Fatah. At this point, forcible disarmament and Roman-like subjection is the only way to stop them (and perhaps to unite them). But Israel certainly won't do it, and neither will we. And the 'proposals' for Egypt and Jordan to administer the territories are laughable.

Perhaps they could elect Chirac as their new President. Or George Galloway. It couldn't hurt.

Posted by: jim hamlen at May 18, 2007 6:47 AM

Israel is a nation.

Posted by: oj at May 18, 2007 9:09 AM