March 26, 2007

TOO BAD THEY SHAFTED THE ORANGE:

Four Mighty Contenders for NCAA Basketball Crown (JONAH KERI, March 26, 2007, NY Sun)

After 60 games, dozens of thrilling moments, and one of the lowest upset tallies in recent tournament history, the Final Four has come down to four mighty contenders. Or to be more precise, two talent factories and two great systems.

Get ready for a star-studded cast: Greg Oden and Mike Conley, Roy Hibbert and Jeff Green, Joakim Noah and Al Horford, Arron Afflalo and Darren Collison. One of the strongest Final Four fields in years will do battle, with two no. 1 and two no. 2 seeds taking the floor. Here's a look at the four combatants, how they got here, and how they might fare in Atlanta...

You are invited to join my on-line college hoops bracket
group! To accept this invitation and join the group, click
the link below (or cut and paste the link into your
browser's address field). You'll be asked to enter the
group's password before you can join. The group password is
included in this e-mail.

Our Group password is: ericjulia

MORE:
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad MARCH (JONAH KERI, March 14, 2007, NY Sun)

Raise your hand if you can remember an NCAA tournament field as wide open as this year's. The usual stalwarts of recent vintage, Duke and Connecticut, are nowhere near their usual status as no. 1 seeds -- UConn didn't even make the NIT.

There are still plenty of familiar names. But how do you separate North Carolina from Kansas? If Ohio State plays Florida, would the Thad Five prevail, or would Gators fans be chanting "Just like football"?

You've got questions; we've got answers.

If the tournament plays out the way the regular season did, there's sure to be fireworks. The 2006-2007 season was the Year of the Freshman. The NBA's new rookie eligibility rules forced top high school seniors to go to college for at least one year. Combine the rule with an amazing bumper crop of super frosh, and you have a situation similar to Carmelo Anthony's national championship season at Syracuse -- times 10.

You are invited to join my on-line college hoops bracket
group! To accept this invitation and join the group, click
the link below (or cut and paste the link into your
browser's address field). You'll be asked to enter the
group's password before you can join. The group password is
included in this e-mail.

Our Group password is: ericjulia

Posted by Orrin Judd at March 26, 2007 12:52 PM
Comments

My impression regarding this could be wrongheaded, but I picked Creighton to advance to the Elite Eight. My impression was that if they beat Nevada the field is wide open for them to advance prior to playing the Buckeyes. I spoke to my dad after he made his picks and told him I thought the Bluejays could go that far, and he responded that the South bracket is one of the weakest he has ever seen.

I think it looks like that all over. If you are a fan of some underdog team, I have a strong feeling that this could be your lucky year.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at March 14, 2007 9:48 PM

Meanwhile, the East is filthy.

Posted by: oj at March 14, 2007 10:34 PM

Creighton in the Elite Eight? That's almost as crazy as my bracket, which has Long Beach, Davidson, and Southern Illinois in the Final Four.

Go Buckeyes! Beat Kansas!

Posted by: Mike Morley at March 15, 2007 10:10 AM

I've got Creighton in the Sweet 16. Memphis is there for the taking. They play in a significantly weakened conference, w/ all the defections to the BigEast, and they played no one decent this season.

Texas A&M tho is good Matt, I don't think Creighton can get by them. They're a legit Final 4 team. I think'll they'll take OhSt in the Final 8.

Other upsets I'm predicting include Old Dom in the Sweet16, Villanova beating Kansas to go to the Sweet 16 too, GW over Vandy and WashSt to make the Sweet 16, and Long Beach St over Tenn.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at March 15, 2007 10:40 AM

And Mike, I've got the Salukies in the Final 8. UCLA will top them just short.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at March 15, 2007 10:46 AM

So much for one daring pick . . . though Davidson made a game of it, give 'em that much.

Posted by: Mike Morley at March 15, 2007 1:33 PM

I picked VCU.

Duke, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at March 15, 2007 8:52 PM

Thursday's games were pretty dull, except for the Duke loss, which was real nice.

Posted by: jdkelly at March 16, 2007 8:27 AM

MSU turned out to be a weaker link unfortunatly.

Posted by: Dave W at March 19, 2007 10:39 AM

I'm very confused. Is there a primer on how the standings are calculated? We have two picks in the final four, and had North Carolina and Kansas until the last round. Only Duke let us down.

So why are we so far down in the standings?

If two of our picks, Flroida & Ohio go the end, will that raise of standings? My roommate says no, but offers no reason that makes sense.

Posted by: erp at March 26, 2007 7:53 AM

Y'all got a fantasy league goin on this year, any openings if so?

Posted by: Scof at March 26, 2007 12:40 PM

erp,

You get one point for each game where you select the winner. There are three games left.

Posted by: The Other Brother at March 26, 2007 6:12 PM

Thank you.

I get it now. So your pick doesn't have to win the tournament to win the pool.

Posted by: erp at March 26, 2007 6:19 PM