March 23, 2007

THE UN-EDWARDS:

Run, Fred, Run!: Thompson's potential candidacy is creating a stir. (Mona Charen, 3/23/07, National Review)

What about that likable fellow from Tennessee? Thompson is not "just an actor" (though they said that about Reagan, and he turned out OK). He began his professional life as an assistant U.S. attorney, worked as Sen. Howard Baker's campaign manager and did a stint as co-chief counsel to the Senate Watergate Committee. It was he who asked the innocuous-sounding but momentous question of Alexander Butterfield:"Were you aware of the existence of any listening devices in the Oval Office of the president?"

After leaving Washington, he continued to practice law and slipped into acting as easily as a wagon rolls downhill. They were making a film about his legal exploits and couldn't find anyone who could do Fred Thompson as well as he did himself. His voting record is solidly conservative. He is articulate, self-made (his father was a car salesman), highly intelligent, and exudes calm authority. His star power offers him an opening with independent voters that other candidates can only dream of, while his solid conservative credentials will excite the Republican base.

He hasn't dreamed of becoming president since he was in diapers.

Unlike the Senator, who would crawl over his sick wife to get to the White House?

Posted by Orrin Judd at March 23, 2007 11:31 AM
Comments

OJ:

I'm no Edwards fan politically but I think your shot is gratuitous and unnecessary. My wife is going through radiation currently, having just finished chemo and I understand the impulse to try to keep your life as "normal" as possible (which to the Edwards' involves running for office) and to not let "cancer take over our lives".

As Dean Barnett points out in an outstanding post over at Hughhewitt.com, the Edwards' are currently going through a lot of reasessment of their lives. I do not blame them for taking the most aggressive stance as their default position. That's the kind of attitude one needs to successfully push through this kind of crisis. I'll guarantee you that my wife would not want me to pull out of the race, even if I wanted to. Doing so would say something about her condition that she (and I) are not ready to deal with yet.

I guess because I'm walking in their shoes right now I'm willing to give the Edwards' a lot of latitude in their personal decision making.

Posted by: jeff at March 23, 2007 12:24 PM

jeff, did you forget about the 20,000+ sq. ft. complex they just finished building. Do you have any idea how much effort goes into a project like that? Is that anybody's idea of trying to push through a crisis?

I pray both Mrs. Edwards and your wife recover quickly and I think your concern for Edwards is a waste of energy you'll need to keep for your family.

Posted by: erp at March 23, 2007 12:33 PM

More likely it's the other way 'round. It's Mrs. Edwards who wants to measure drapes in the Oval Office--the Mister is just a necessary appendage.

FYI: I've had a change to meet both Edwardses and found them very nice people. It's too bad any family should go through this, and we all should wish them the best personally if not politically.

Posted by: AC at March 23, 2007 12:54 PM

erp:

Remember, she was supposedly "cancer free" during the time they were building the palace. In retrospect it's easy to say that the stress of such an undertaking might well have contributed to her recurrance but.....

My wife is already talking about the big projects she's going to pick back up as soon as she gets through radiation. I may well use Mrs. Edward's situation as a cautionary tale to try to slow her down a little. Whether I will be successful only the Lord knows.

To me this issue is like the "taking care of a disabled relative" issue is to you. I will be very reluctant to find fault, regardless of the peoples' political affiliation and will continue to encourage others to think the same way.

Posted by: jeff at March 23, 2007 12:56 PM

erp:

Posted by: jeff at March 23, 2007 12:59 PM

jeff:

So if you had enough money to retire comfortably but there was a promotion you really wanted at work you'd still pursue it despite the time and attention it would take away during her illness? I don't get that.

Posted by: oj at March 23, 2007 3:08 PM

"I don't get that."

There's quite a lot you're constitutionally incapable of "getting" when it comes to marriage and other interactions of adults.

Posted by: John Smith at March 23, 2007 4:05 PM

Jeff, God bless you and your family. I'm sure you've seen the statistics and they're in your favor. Let us know how things go.

Posted by: erp at March 23, 2007 5:26 PM

Mr. Smith:

Quite. There is no commandment to love yourself and your ambitions above all others.

Posted by: oj at March 23, 2007 6:50 PM

Jeff

I reserve the right to "find fault", when your "big project" is to seek an office that has the power to control, regulate, manipulate, and generally rule over my and all Americans lives. I would be remiss in my duties as a citizen to do less.

Otherwise I am in complete agreement with you.

Posted by: h-man at March 24, 2007 4:41 AM

Oh, dear. You should really stop posting about these sorts of things at least until you've, say, kissed a girl.

Posted by: John Smith at March 24, 2007 7:10 AM

erp:

Thank you. We appreciate all prayers and kind thoughts.

OJ:

A couple of comments.

1) I have no use for Edwards or his ugly politics. But ....

2) I refuse to immediately take gratuitous potshots at the Edwards' because they are unable to work throught the stages of grief in one news cycle.

If her condition deteriorates quickly and he continues to push forward my position will change but I think its a little much to ask anyone to get to the end game in 2 or 3 days.

As for the promotion example, in the end I probably wouldn't go for it, but I doubt I would come to that decision in less than a week. It's easy to expect others to come to the "obvious","rational" decision in short order when we have no emotional stake in the issue.

3) If Oregon beats Florida and Ohio State wins it all, I win the book. Go Ducks, Go Bucks.

Posted by: jeff at March 24, 2007 11:16 AM

Mr. Smith:

This is about Edwards kissing himself.

Posted by: oj at March 24, 2007 12:05 PM

jeff:

The point being that he considers the news cycle first and her only after.

Posted by: oj at March 24, 2007 12:08 PM

Rather more about your own abysmal understanding of human interrelationships. I'd say you really need to meet a nice girl -- but what nice girl would want you?

Posted by: John Smith at March 24, 2007 12:09 PM

This new "John Smith" troll sounds like it's in love. (Or at least projecting its own inadequacies.) This has potential for entertainment!

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at March 24, 2007 2:03 PM

Mr. Ortega,

Your statement makes no sense. I merely point out that someone like Mr. Judd, who has clearly never known the touch, let alone love, of a woman cannot understand what takes place within the emotional bonds of a marriage, which is why his opinions about the Edwards is of less merit and value than those of folks like John McCain, Tony Snow, Dean Barnett, and fellow commenter Jeff who are capable of applauding the Edwards' courage, even though it's displayed by political rivals.

Posted by: John Smith at March 24, 2007 2:37 PM

I look forward to more lessons on morality from Mr. Smith. It's too bad our most entertaining trolls don't stick around very long.

Posted by: erp at March 24, 2007 3:13 PM

Mr. Smith:

John Edwards too is apparently just in it for the touching, not for the moral obligations. Easier to hire a chick if that's all you want.

Posted by: oj at March 24, 2007 5:27 PM

You poor twisted thing. Whoever hurt you like this really did a number on you.

Posted by: John Smith at March 24, 2007 5:48 PM

Mr. Smith -

Yesterday on Rush, the last caller was a woman from New Jersey (as I recall) who admitted she was very cynical about Edwards, and frankly said that he was so emotionally wrapped up in being President that he would use his wife's illness to get there. Even Rush was taken a bit aback, until the woman explained that she has a 17 year-old with cerebral palsy.

Edwards, of course, made millions suing obstetricians who delivered babies with cerebral palsy, going so far as to relive the trauma of their births for the juries.

John Edwards is a complete and utter phoney. No matter that his teenage son died, or that his wife has cancer. Sure, he may "learn" and "grow" through this suffering, but not in front of the TV cameras, which is where he has chosen to make his stand.

Bob Shrum made the comment that America learned more about cancer during the Edwards press conference than ever before. Is that an emotionally mature observation, or the glib blubbering of a fool, angling for a job? You're the expert, you tell us.

Posted by: jim hamlen at March 24, 2007 6:59 PM

Hurt? It's a fairly rudimentary notion that in a marriage you put your partner above your own petty ambitions.

What you want is spiritual onanism.

Posted by: oj at March 24, 2007 6:59 PM
« MISTAKING THE BAKER'S WINDOW FOR THERMOPYLAE: | Main | HE MAY LOSE THIS BATTLE, BUT HE WON THE WAR: »