October 16, 2006

THEY OUGHTTA JUST DISBAND THAT FRANCHISE:

So you had to figure the Bears would crush the Cards tonight, but, figuring the game would be over by 11:30, I checked the score and, seeing the Cards ahead 23-10 with ten minutes left, thought I'd see if Matt Leinart was really playing that well. Holy trainwreck, Batman.

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 16, 2006 11:56 PM
Comments

The Cardinals will stink until Bill Bidwill dies. He is the only constant. New players, new coaches, new executives - same owner, same results.

Posted by: Brandon at October 17, 2006 12:13 AM

Good Morning OJ,

Bears 24, Cards 23. Who needs an offense?

With such comebacks, maybe even November won't be a debacle.

Posted by: Bruno at October 17, 2006 12:31 AM

Yep, you're right. he's got his new stadium out in Glendale now to top it off.

That's the problem with a team owner that doesn't have another job.

Posted by: Tom Wall at October 17, 2006 12:38 AM

The football Giants had the same problem in the 1960s and 70s, but being in New York the horrid situation meant Pete Rozelle had to deal with Giants fans demanding he do something about the situation, and Pete finally stepped it between the warring Maras and got Wellington and Tim to hire George Young as general manager. NBA commission David Stern is going through the same thing right now with the New York Knicks, and will probably have to do something if the team continues it's current ways, but with the Bidwells being out in St. Louis and no Arizona, there's no such urgency to fix the problem, unless the NFL moves its home office to Mesa in the near future.

(But I'd rather not see the Cards disband at least until Thanksgiving, since I've got a group trip set up to Phoenix in early November to watch the Cards play the Cowboys, and those tickets and the hotel rooms are non-refundable.)

Posted by: John at October 17, 2006 1:33 AM

As The Simpson's Nelson would say, "Ha-Ha"!". There are few things funnier (to me) than a bad sports franchise. All that ego, and all that money spent, and this pitiful result is all Bidwell could get.

Posted by: Bruce Cleaver at October 17, 2006 4:53 AM

For the 2nd straight week Rackers missed a probably game winning field goal. A few weeks ago the Cards were all set for a last minute winning field go when Warner fumbles on the opponents 15 yd line. So the Cards could be 4-2 instead of 1-5. And Chicago, like Indy barely avoiding losses, will still be hailed as the greatest franchise ever.

Posted by: AWW at October 17, 2006 9:17 AM

AWW is right - the Bears and the Colts are fragile teams. They will not win at the end.

A tougher team will beat them. The Panthers, the Broncos, the Steelers, the Patriots, or maybe the Chargers.

Posted by: jim hamlen at October 17, 2006 10:16 AM

The poor Cardinals' defense. 3 points allowed against the mighty bears offense, 6 turnovers delivered into the hands of their offense, and they can't get the win.

Posted by: Mike Earl at October 17, 2006 10:30 AM

Trade ya one Bill Ford for two Bill Bidwells.

Posted by: JimBobElrod at October 17, 2006 12:36 PM

Trust me, nobody wants Bill Ford - least of all Lions fans.

I believe I am correct in saying that of all the non-expansion NFL franchises, the only teams not to play in a Super Bowl are the Lions and Cardinals. (You can argue the Browns but the successor franchise to the original Browns, the Baltimore Ravens, have played in the Big One and earned their ring. Yeah, it stretches the definition a little, but I think the Ravens have a knowledgable owner, which is more than you can say for the Cardinals and Lions.)

Posted by: John Barrett Jr. at October 17, 2006 1:13 PM

John,

Yes, you are correct about the non-Super Bowl participation. However, the Lions actually have winning seasons and go to the playoffs every few years. The Cardinals have been to the playoffs exactly once in the last twenty years.

Posted by: Brandon at October 17, 2006 2:25 PM

Was over at my friend Tim's house and another friend named John, who is a Packers fan and lives at the house, went upstairs to bed and told us to wake him up if the Bears scored again and there were at least five minutes left.

There were exactly five minutes left.

He then told me to wake him up if the Bears had the ball with less than two minutes left. Naturally, they scored even quicker than that. I made a strategic decision not to tell John the final score: I'm not going to be responsible for a friend's depressive thoughts and subsequent mental fitness.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at October 17, 2006 8:06 PM

Meanwhile, I have a question for the trivia maniacs: When was the last time a visiting team won an NFL game while committing six turnovers and scoring three offensive points?

Posted by: Matt Murphy at October 17, 2006 8:09 PM

Matt:

I don't know if that ever happened before, but I remember a Steelers-Raiders game back in 1973 when the Raiders outgained Pittsburgh about 375 to 180 in total yards but lost 17-9 because of 4 interceptions (2 by defensive end Dwight White), 5 sacks, and three blocked kicks (2 FG and 1 PAT), which were mainly due to head slaps on the Oakland center. The game was in Oakland and the field was a sloppy mess - this was the game when the Steelers complained that the Raiders put Vaseline on their jerseys and on the ball (hence the head slaps).

There was a playoff game in 1970 when Dallas beat Detroit 5-0, but I don't remember the particulars because I was only 10. I do remember being mad that the Lions lost.

Posted by: jim hamlen at October 17, 2006 10:40 PM