October 9, 2006

RUTHLESS PEOPLE (via Ed Driscoll & Tom Morin):

Comedy director David Zucker goes to GOP? You can't be serious! (Marc Ballon, 10/06/06, Jewish Journal)

David Zucker, the producer and director of "Airplane," "The Naked Gun" and "Scary Movie 4," embraced the Republican Party in 2004 and voted for President Bush, largely because of security concerns. Once a liberal activist and campaign adviser to President Bill Clinton, he made a low-budget anti-Kerry ad that ran mostly in Ohio and kept his political change-of-heart largely under Hollywood's radar.

Not now.

Zucker sees threats to America and Israel mounting, and he believes the Democrats are unable or unwilling to confront those challenges, so he has decided to go public with his belief that the Democrats have lost their way. Starting Oct. 9, the first of two ads Zucker directed and co-wrote will begin running on the Internet in hopes of helping the Republicans retain control of the House in the November elections. Like his movies, Zucker's edgy spots employ his trademark fast-paced, gag-a-second-slapstick humor that has made him the undisputed king of spoof.

Because all humor is conservative he really doesn't have to change anything.

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 9, 2006 8:39 PM
Comments

Airplane should have won an Oscar. It was one of the best movies of all time.

Posted by: Bruno at October 9, 2006 9:39 PM

Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Posted by: Captain Oveur at October 9, 2006 10:02 PM

Anyone who didn't see oj's line at the bottom of the post coming has to hand in their official BrosJudd secret decoder ring.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at October 9, 2006 10:05 PM

"Rumack: Captain, how soon can you land?

Captain Oveur: I can't tell.

Rumack: You can tell me. I'm a doctor.

Captain Oveur: No. I mean I'm just not sure.

Rumack: Well, can't you take a guess?

Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.

Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?"

Posted by: Pete at October 9, 2006 10:44 PM

Airplane! is a classic. There's a personal favorite bit in their next film, Top Secret! (yes, both have exclamation points): The head bad guy has a rubber stamp holder on his desk. One of the stamps says "Find him and kill him."

Posted by: PapayaSF at October 10, 2006 2:24 AM

I have to admit that Airplane! is my desert island movie. I never tire of watching it and start giggling just thinking about lines coming up.

Posted by: Rick T at October 10, 2006 3:48 AM

He made "Baseketball" with the South Park guys too; lots of arguably conservative (and very funny) stuff in that movie.

Posted by: Guy T. at October 10, 2006 7:36 AM

"I speak jive."

Posted by: Qiao Yang at October 10, 2006 12:00 PM

"Surely you can't be serious."

"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley."

Posted by: Mike Morley at October 10, 2006 1:17 PM

"Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

Posted by: jgm at October 10, 2006 8:55 PM

Don't forget Airplane II (some bad language in link):

Steve McCroskey: Jacobs, I want to know absolutely everything that's happened up till now.

Jacobs: Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at October 11, 2006 2:54 PM
« ONE ASSUMES KATIE COURIC LED WITH THE GOOD NEWS?: | Main | THE DESCENT OF MAN »