September 5, 2006

NOTHING COSTS MORE THAN IT USED TO:

Whupped by Microsoft, Corel takes on Google (SIMON AVERY, 9/05/06, Globe and Mail)

Corel Corp. got clobbered several years ago when it tried to beat Microsoft Corp. in the PC software market. Today, after being revamped top to bottom and recently relisted as a public company, Corel faces an equally formidable competitor: Google Inc.

Google has developed a competing portfolio of graphics, digital imaging and productivity software. Not only does the Internet search giant have a much more powerful brand than Corel, but its business model is tough to beat. Google gives its software away free over the Web.

Once one of Canada's best-known technology companies, Corel was never able to compete effectively against Microsoft's Windows franchise that still dominates the personal computer industry today. But the Ottawa company thinks it has found a way to prosper against Google and other companies offering free Web-based services that are increasingly supported by ads.

On Tuesday, Corel will launch new software for managing digital photos and video. It will give away one version of Snapfire, which lets users organize, edit and share their images, and sell a premium version called Snapfire Plus for $40 (U.S.) with more advanced editing features.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 5, 2006 8:58 AM
Comments

WordPerfect is for the professionals, MS is for the home user.

always hated MS.

Posted by: Sandy P at September 5, 2006 10:25 AM

"I don't want to get letters from the Lotus suite users or the latter-day WordPerfect users who rant like maniacs that only WordPerfect lets you see all the hidden "codes" on the page. That's all I ever hear. Let me tell you what makes Microsoft Word dominate the competition, aside from the simple fact that it is easier to stick with Word than it is to struggle with new menus and commands on some other word processor. The real keys are spell checking, grammar checking, and markup."

John Dvorak said something I actually agree with!

Posted by: JackSheet at September 5, 2006 12:17 PM

So, he's an old fogey and doesn't want to change.

MS word dominates because it was made for home/mass usage, not professional.

Posted by: Sandy P at September 5, 2006 12:22 PM

I prefer WordPerfect beacuse it does what I tell it to do rather than MS Word which does what it thinks I should want it to do.

MS Word is incapable of managing any documents that need formatting beyond the most simple letter or high school essay.

Posted by: Shelton at September 5, 2006 12:47 PM

Sad, but true. I disable all the new-fangled built-in formats in Word and Excel, but they keep resurrecting themselves. Old versions were much flexible.

I haven't used Word Perfect in a long time and didn't even know it was still around. My son worked for Novell when they made the monumental blunder of buying it. After that it was curtains for all involved.

Posted by: erp at September 5, 2006 2:32 PM

I still have WordPerfect 5.1 on my desktop which I use from time to time. IMHO Lotus WordPro is the best Windows word processing program, far superior to MS Word.

Posted by: jd watson at September 5, 2006 3:08 PM
« WHICH IS WHY YOU HAVE TO HIKE TAXES--WE'LL NEVER RUN OUT: | Main | KNOWING YOUR AUDIENCE: »