July 3, 2006

OFFER HIM A COMMITTEE CHAIRMANSHIP AND HE'LL SWITCH PARTIES TOMORROW:

Lieberman Will Petition (MARK PAZNIOKAS, 7/03/06, The Hartford Courant)

Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman announced today he will petition for a place on the November ballot as an "independent Democrat," giving him a chance to stay alive politically should he lose an Aug. 8 primary for the Democratic nomination.

Lieberman, 64, a three-term senator whose outspoken support of the war in Iraq has brought months of grief and inspired a strong primary challenge from Greenwich businessman Ned Lamont, announced his decision this afternoon at a brief press conference at the State Capitol.

"I've been a proud, loyal and progressive Democrat since John F. Kennedy inspired my generation of Americans into public service and I will stay a Democrat, whether I am the Democraitic party's nominee or a petitioning Democratic candidate on the November ballot," Lieberman said. He added that he would, even if re-elected as a petitioning candidate, remain a member of the Senate Democratic Caucus.

The more interesting question is would JFK have been a member of this Democratic Party?

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 3, 2006 2:41 PM
Comments

Insofar as being a "John Kennedy Democrat" is now a Republican stance speaks volumes about how far the Left has moved from JFK and the Democratic Party and how much closer it has moved to anyone or anything who/which opposes him.

The Left is rooting for a revolution that will destroy it.

Ditto Europe.

Posted by: Ed Bush at July 3, 2006 3:07 PM

This is not the action of a man who thinks he is going to win.

Posted by: b at July 3, 2006 3:28 PM

I'm with b -- the internal polls must be pretty bad.

Posted by: jd watson [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 3, 2006 4:06 PM

I think it's the other way round. The polls show that, as an independent, he sweeps to victory.

Posted by: David Cohen at July 3, 2006 4:08 PM

David: You're thinking way too hard. Do the Republicans even have a nominee? You're probably right that he wins going away as an independent, but so what? He'd win going away as the Dem nominee as well, and Mr. Lamont would be able to spend his money on marginal House races instead of a safe Dem Senate seat. But we've seen these past several years that the left is consumed by self-destructive hatred (For what exactly? Even they've forgotten by now, I'm sure) that has pushed them off the cliffs of insanity.

Posted by: b at July 3, 2006 4:19 PM

b: I agree with all of that, not to mention that Dick Durbin and the Dems have made clear that they'll support Joe regardless of what the state party does.

Posted by: David Cohen at July 3, 2006 5:40 PM

Lieberman is sure to win the November election if he's on the ballot. I'm not sure you can say his filing as an independent indicates he doesn't expect to win the Democratic primary; just that there's enough chance he'll lose that he doesn't want to take the chance. Filing as an independent is relatively costless, except that it will likely cost him votes in the Democratic primary and makes a 3-way race more likely.

Posted by: pj at July 3, 2006 5:57 PM

pj: If John McCain announces next year that he is going to start collecting signatures to get on the presidential ballot as an Independent, but is still planning on trying to win the Republican nomination, would you not say that that was an indication that he thought he wasn't going to?

Posted by: b at July 3, 2006 6:15 PM

There's a difference between "I don't think that I'm going to win" and "it's going to be close, so I'll give myself another option".

Posted by: Noam Chomsky at July 3, 2006 8:29 PM
« POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AND SCIENCE CAN NOT BE SQUARED (via Tom Morin): | Main | GO SOONER AND TAKE JUDY TOPINKA: »