July 6, 2006

HAVEN'T HAD ENOUGH?:

Poll shows re-election chances strong for Schwarzenegger (Chronicle Staff, July 6, 2006, SF Chronicle)

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, winning back voters with a series of moves including helping gain agreement on a $131 billion budget with increased money for education, is in strong position to win re-election in November, a poll released today shows.

Schwarzenegger is favored over his Democratic challenger, state Treasurer Phil Angelides, by 44 percent to 37 percent among state voters in the poll by the Survey and Policy Research Institute at San Jose State University. Fourteen percent of those surveyed are undecided.

The governor's job approval rating has jumped to 49 percent among voters surveyed compared with 41 percent who disapprove of his performance -- the best results he has seen since March 2005.

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 6, 2006 1:13 PM
Comments

Arnold probably knows quite a bit about peaking at the right time.

Posted by: AWW at July 6, 2006 4:22 PM

They've both been running ads for a couple of weeks already. There is zero chance that someone that looks like Angelides can beat Ahnuld. Even if he weren't on the far left of the CA Democratic party.

Posted by: b at July 6, 2006 4:23 PM

b:

Couldn't agree more. Angelides not only is a party hack, but, more damning, looks like one. I don't think I've ever seen a politician with a shiftier look.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at July 6, 2006 5:14 PM

oj,
The recent CA primary was the 1st election I missed in 42 years, this includes the 4 years I spent, in the mid-70's, on the MD side of suburban DC.
If there'd been any local issue I cared about on the ballot I'd have voted. But, there was no way I could ever again vote for Arnold, he'd be just another lefty in any Red State.
CA is controlled by the Democrats and their paymasters, the various public employee unions. Go along to get along Arnold will, in the long run results, be not that different from his super Left opponent.
Following Clinton's paradigm, "good press equals good government" is Arnolds version of executive leadership.
Mike

Posted by: Mike Daley at July 6, 2006 10:31 PM

You've got a budget surplus and a growing economy.

Posted by: oj at July 6, 2006 11:13 PM