May 13, 2006

DERRIDA'S DEAD AND YOU'RE A NUTJOB:

The Right Kind of Paranoia: How the NSA could fix its data-mining program (Fred Kaplan, May 12, 2006, Slate)

We have hit the point where paranoia is a proper frame of mind for assessing nearly everything this administration says or does.

We're long past the point where we automatically blame folks for their own derangement, but aren't we also past the moment when anyone believed the Left's argument that craziness is just a social construct?

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 13, 2006 5:55 PM
Comments

Don't tell anyone--but I'm working on a story now that's going to get me a Pulitzer. Did you know that the government keeps detailed financial files on every American over at some place called the "I.R.S."? Does Congress know about this?

And it's even worse than I'd imagined; I was driving downtown today and an armed agent of the state looked at me--WITHOUT A WARRANT! Imagine! From what I understand, these people are called "police officers" and have been placed in every municipality in the nation! This kind of spying on Americans is outrageous.

Nor does it stop there; they've actually got agents who spy on our beloved housepets--they're called "dog-catchers"!

I don't know about you, but that's not the America I grew up in. I served my country when I signed up for that Pell Grant, and I'm not going to take it any...Wait; did you hear that?...black helicopters! Flee while you can! I'll call you from Woody Creek!

Posted by: Cap Fredlan at May 13, 2006 7:35 PM

Seriously, I'd like to hear from these civil libertines who are all bent out of shape how they manage to keep all their personal information out of the hands of the IRS. Especially considering what you can tell about a person from the itemized deductions (medical expenses, charitible contributions, union dues), business expenses, transaction records, W-2s, 1099s and all that other documentation we're all forced to cough up every year.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at May 13, 2006 7:59 PM

Hey, these are leftists. They don't earn any money, but they're ashamed of who they talk to.

Wouldn't you be?

Posted by: David Cohen at May 13, 2006 10:55 PM

The 'law' that underpins the NSA effort to collect and compare phone records (via the co-operation of the phone companies) was signed by Bill Clinton in 1994 - it was enacted by a Democratic Congress. It provides for 'sharing' pretty much upon request.

Fred Kaplan must have something to be paranoid about. Perhaps the empty brainpan?

The idiocy that has been revealed on the left (from Krugman to Scheer to Ivins to Kinsley Alterman to the editorial pages of the major dailies to the barkers like Carville and Begala) is astonishing sometimes. I know I wouldn't want my name associated with drivel and overall wrongness, especially so consistently. I am still embarrassed that I wrote a comment here a few weeks ago stating that a Minuteman III warhead was only 3-4 kT, when in reality they are about 330 kT.

Nobody's perfect, but if I made my living at the keyboard, I certainly wouldn't want to become MORE corrected with time.

Posted by: jim hamlen at May 13, 2006 10:59 PM

Cap, Flesh that out and get it published ... anywhere. Too funny.

If Al Capone was still with us, he could tell us something about the IRS records. Jeeze!

Posted by: Genecis at May 14, 2006 8:33 AM
« WATER CARRIERS FOR THE FASCISTS (via Pepys): | Main | TAKING OUT KOHL WITH NO HASSLE: »